Unitrack "masterpiece" M2 endless

Chotsootrain

Chotsootrain

Hello. I'm a newbie and as starter bought Kato unitrack 20-851 M2 endless basic set. Due to space limitations, my planned track layout is only 2' x 4'. Questions: 1) what additional track packages do I need to maximize my track layout, 2) is it better to buy DCC equipped than just DCC ready? 3) are cabooses also energised? 4) how many units can I pull in one track? 5) where do I need DCC decoders? 6) what kind/type of controller do I need to run 3-4 track?

Thank you

5 hours ago, Chotsootrain said:

Hello. I'm a newbie and as starter bought Kato unitrack 20-851 M2 endless basic set. Due to space limitations, my planned track layout is only 2' x 4'. Questions: 1) what additional track packages do I need to maximize my track layout, 2) is it better to buy DCC equipped than just DCC ready? 3) are cabooses also energised? 4) how many units can I pull in one track? 5) where do I need DCC decoders? 6) what kind/type of controller do I need to run 3-4 track?

Thank you

1: Probably some extra switches? Or maybe the V5 set?

2: If you are just going to have an oval, it might be more cost efficient to have DC. Also because most japanese models are not easily converted to DCC. DCC ready just means it is a matter of clicking a decoder in.

3: Cabooses in general are not energized. In fact the only exception I can think of are power generating cabooses for the Cassiopeia.

4: Not sure what you mean by this? I doubt this is a problem you will encounter quickly on an oval.

5: You need a decoder in each loco, and a decoder for each car equipped with tail lights / head lights.

6: Again, with DCC then you really only need one station. With DC then you can use one power pack per isolated loop.

Hope this helps!

5 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Some Japanese vans do come with tail lights and interior lights. A quick search brings up one example.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10415984

I read his question as motorized, not lit. There are plenty of cabooses with tail lights and/or interior light.

Edited by Yavianice

Not sure you will fit that M2 set on 2x4 foot layout.

R315 curves. You need two to make a 180 degree curve.

2 feet is 610mm.

You can make your 2 x 4 space work by replacing the curves from the M2 set with R249 curves.  This is a basic oval plan. The squares on the plan are six inches in each direction.

Basic oval R249 M2 1024 x 768.jpg

You can add a little more to the layout. A siding on one side only won't work due to lack of space. But you can add a partial second track as a building block.

As much as possible I tried to use the pieces from the M2 set.

20000, N Kato Unitrack, Straight 248mm.                           2
20010, N Kato Unitrack, Straight 186mm.                           2
20020, N Kato Unitrack, Straight 124mm.                            1
20040, N Kato Unitrack, Straight 62mm.                               3       
20041, N Kato Unitrack, Straight feeder 62mm.                   1
20100, N Kato Unitrack, Curve radius 249mm, angle 45º    8
20150, N Kato Unitrack, Curve radius 718mm, angle 15º    2
20170, N Kato Unitrack, Curve radius 216mm, angle 45º    4
20202, N Kato Unitrack, Left turnout 186mm. (remote)       1
20203, N Kato Unitrack, Right turnout 186mm. (remote)     1
S33, N Kato Unitrack, Straight 33mm.                                      2

Basic oval M2 revised 1024 x 768.jpg

Chotsootrain

Hello. I'm a newbie and as starter bought Kato unitrack 20-851 M2 endless basic set. Due to space limitations, my planned track layout is only 2' x 4'. Questions:

1) what additional track packages do I need to maximize my track layout,

2) is it better to buy DCC equipped than just DCC ready?

3) are cabooses also energised?

4) how many units can I pull in one track?

5) where do I need DCC decoders?

6) what kind/type of controller do I need to run 3-4 track?

Thank you

chotsoo,

it would help of you could be a bit more specific in your questions here. You are asking a very wide variety of questions here and not sure exactly what you want to do on each.

2 hours ago, Chotsootrain said:

Hello. I'm a newbie and as starter bought Kato unitrack 20-851 M2 endless basic set. Due to space limitations, my planned track layout is only 2' x 4'. Questions:

1) what additional track packages do I need to maximize my track layout,

What do you mean my maximize your track layout, what do you want for your layout? Folks have shown above some changes to the m2 to fit on your 2x4 layout

2) is it better to buy DCC equipped than just DCC ready?

If you are buying Japanese trains then none are equipped with dcc when you buy them. Some kato are dcc ready with slots you can plug a decoder into. Dcc ready means there is a standard slot you can plug a decoder in later to convert from dc to dcc when you want to.

3) are cabooses also energised?

Jeff

By cabooses are you talking about freight cabooses (on Japanese freight they are usually called guard cars)? By energized do mean they have power pickups on the wheels to get track power for lighting?

4) how many units can I pull in one track?

What do you mean units? Do you mean cars? If so are you talking freight, passenger? Not sure what you mean on one track. Please provide more info

5) where do I need DCC decoders?

Dcc decoders are attached to each motor car or locomotive that has a motor in it. It controls how much power that loco/motor car gets. Each decoder has a number you can assign it then the dcc controller can send messages over the track to each decoder to control each of them separately.

6) what kind/type of controller do I need to run 3-4 track?

Are you talking dc or dcc? What do you mea 3-4 track?

Thank you

Chot,

If your question is about simultaneous running of 2-4 trains, DCC might not be the answer.  On a 4'x2' platform, simple oval will give you about 120 inches of running.

You might want to consider a double parallel loop at ground level and an elevate double parallel loop.  Track is cheap.  You can run four trains and not worry about collisions.  Only negative is that you will need four controllers.

I don't know what trains your were planning on running.  The Modemo street cars and Hakone sets, and the Tomix Hakone are great runners and look good on tight curves.

Youtube has a lot of good stuff.  Inspiration below!!!

Mark

• Like 1

Of course, you don’t need four controllers immediately. You can power more than one loop off a single controller. The downside, of course, is not being able to control the speed of each train individually 

I would like to add a crevat to those videos posted earlier.  While they do show what can be done with a small space.  Majority are what they call b-shorties.  These allow for tighter radius curves.  But you cannot run most normal N-scale hardware on those curves.  So use any more than one or two carriage trains.  As platforms can only be 20-30cm long.

Chot,

The Modemo street cars, and both the Modemo and Tomix Hakone cars are about 2/3 the length of the "standard" coach.  They were designed for tight curves. 

These trains will run on the Tomix Wide Tram C103 (4 1/16" not recommended) and the Kato 20174 (5 29/32") 150mm radius track.  Wider is better, but there are options for running normal trains.  If it fits in your plan, using Kato 20170/71 216mm (8 1/2"), 20172 183mm (7 7/32"), and 20174 (5 29/34") give you options and can add interest to your railroad.

Here are some links to a vendor that a lot of us use.  He is sold out of a lot of stuff, but you will get an appreciation of what is available.

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-modemo-new

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/products/tomix-92198-hakone-tozan-railway-type-3000-allegra-2-car-set

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-tomix-new/products/tomix-98007-hakone-tozan-railway-type-2000-st-moritz-rhaetian-railway-color

Mark

Chotsootrain

Hello. I've just started my track 3'x6' layout with Kato unitrack M2 endless starter set. What additional track sets do I need for an elevated bridge? Am also planning to add a variation tract set compatible with M2 that I can feature  a bridge and elevated mountain tract. Thanks

Chots, 

what exactly do you want to do? We need more info to make suggestions. Some of the examples above have grades on them to do mountain scenes but it will be a strain to get many regular trains to run well on the steep grades you will need to do in a smaller space

jeff

Chotsootrain
On 6/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, Yavianice said:

1: Probably some extra switches? Or maybe the V5 set?

2: If you are just going to have an oval, it might be more cost efficient to have DC. Also because most japanese models are not easily converted to DCC. DCC ready just means it is a matter of clicking a decoder in.

3: Cabooses in general are not energized. In fact the only exception I can think of are power generating cabooses for the Cassiopeia.

4: Not sure what you mean by this? I doubt this is a problem you will encounter quickly on an oval.

5: You need a decoder in each loco, and a decoder for each car equipped with tail lights / head lights.

6: Again, with DCC then you really only need one station. With DC then you can use one power pack per isolated loop.

Hope this helps!

Hi Yavianice. Sure this helped a lot in deciding whether to DCC or just DC. Since I'm going Japanese, am now decided in just DC and really won't mind having two power packs. And besides, I'm just doing simple 2-track layout, maybe with viaduct later on. Thanks for your feedback.

Chotsootrain
On 6/2/2019 at 4:50 AM, katoftw said:

Not sure you will fit that M2 set on 2x4 foot layout.

R315 curves. You need two to make a 180 degree curve.

2 feet is 610mm.

Hi katoftw. Thanks for your input. Now am decided on using 3'x6' layout for my M2+v5. 

Chots, 

you might take a look at this book

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4774183032/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it’s got 50 small layouts with some with Kato track plans and some with Tomix. You can always engineer a similar Kato track plan from the Tomix once you have the basic idea. The book is really creative with cramming a lot in a small space as well as doing up and overs in a way that makes the layout seem to have more track than it does. It’s about $37 shipped to the us thru amazon and I expect about the same shipped to other parts of the world.

it is in Japanese but google translate on your phone or pad can easily translate a lot of it good enough to understand and mostly it’s just the visual ideas. Even thing as simple as rotating a simple oval layout a bit on the table to not make it feel as much like an oval. Also where building can be used to obscure parts of the layout to break up rounds rounds or make the oval slightly odd shaped to break things up.

you may want to look at some track planning software to play around with ideas. There are a few that will give you a demo mode with no saving or a minimal number of track pieces saved. Xtrakcad is opensource but requires some fiddling to get it installed and keep it running. Most are under $50 and well worth it if you want to do something past a simple loop.

Cheers

jeff

Thanks! Wow they have a number of the kato plans out of the book there! I thought I remembered a number of small track plans on on the Kato japan site.

jeff

• Like 1