Another whoops! moment in the Yokohama area

It would be a good idea for the overnight workers to clean up their tools before service starts in the morning.

• Like 1

Interesting, I wonder what these "temporary rails" are.  Glad to hear no one was injured.

6 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Interesting, I wonder what these "temporary rails" are.  Glad to hear no one was injured.

The article doesn't say much, but it could be either:

- Smaller-gauge "tracks" (more like small steel beams) placed inside or over the running rails used to move heavy inspection or work equipment.

- Actual provisional ballast-less 1435mm gauge* running tracks, replacing the permanent rails, that are used when work has be done on or under the trackbed.

The point where it derailed is around 3:50 in the video below (3000N series)

The set involved in the accident was no.53, the first of the eight 3000S series sets manufactured in 2006 by Nippon Sharyo.

They actually re-use bogeys and ATC equipment from 2000 series stock (9 sets built in 1984 and retired in 2006).

*The Yokohama Subway runs on 1435mm gauge tracks with a 750V DC third rail, like the Ginza and Marunouchi Lines in Tokyo, Higashiyama, Meijo/Meiko Lines in Nagoya and the whole Osaka Subway Network (except the linear-motored Nagahori-Tsurumi-Ryokuchi and Imatosuji Lines and the catenary-fed Sakaisuji Line)

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1

The device left on the track was a temporary crossover or "shoofly" mounted on top of the existing track. Obviously not something you should hit at speed!

According to the Yokohama Municipal Transportation Bureau, a worker apparently left about a 3.5-meter-long device, which enables maintenance vehicles to change tracks, on the rails after checking the line in the early hours on the day.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20190606/p2a/00m/0na/012000c?fbclid=IwAR2Jb9KPr3CTe_6GJcIAfBej8e54ndZCg9hgC4TxprHdlQdnPM3y3HB2v44

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3

I'd always wondered what those were called.  I remember watching some front view video and seeing what looked like a switch, but without points.  Then I realized that the hardware that was there couldn't actually 'switch' tracks and that some bridge or something would be necessary to get wheels over the gap.

What's the benefit of this, no switch motor to maintain?  Can these be un-signaled?