Kato EM13 and FL12 suppliers?

EdF

Where do you get them, I almost always have to find them at different vendors and with no regularity.  I see MTP and HS have them listed, but not in stock, do they ever get them?  Or is this still the impact of the hurricane in Florida?

Its finding a supplier that has both, otherwise shipping is quite high as a percentage, and that fl12 is crazy expensive.  I have used modeltrainstuff most regularly but even they don't have them consistently.  They and yankeedabbler have been my go to.  MTP and HS have much better prices but that doesn't matter if they never get them in.

In that case, your best bet is to order them directly from KATO themselves and ask for combined shipping. e.g. KATO USA and NOCH. NOCH has both available and in stock.

My local hobby shop said he could order them at a good price (but does not have them listed for a good price).  You may ask your local KATO dealer if he can order them in at a good price and what the time may be.

I personally have always ordered them in Japan and had my SIL send them to me, or wife bring them back, etc.  Maybe ZenMarket or Buyee or someone who does Amazon buying service can get them and send them reasonably.

Edited by chadbag

They go through production batches, so if you want a good deal you have to get them when they are in production.  I usually order through plazajapan on ebay, the em13s go for about $17 when new and I can stock up.  Amazon.jp also sometimes has good deals, but again this is usually only during a production cycle.  

I believe the decoders themselves are manufactured by digitrax which had extensive hurricane damage to their production facilities last year, which could be delaying the next production while they get new equipment up and running. 

• Like 1

I've noticed FL12 showing up on Amazon JP again at good prices (unfortunately not shipping to the US) and @bill937ca mentioned that MTP got a new shipment, so it seems a new batch has been run and they should start showing up again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1