Mac web (html) editors that are free or low cost

chadbag

I had been using Apple's iWeb for simple website use.  I am talking just simple static pages.  Once Apple discontinued iWeb, one one website, I just edited the html manually to update pricing etc. but that was cumbersome and lots of the page grew out of date.   I'd like to put up a new website for this and I also have a few domains I'm trying to sell that don't have websites attached (mainly used for email now) and would like to put up simple websites for them.

I need a simple HTMNL editor that has a small selection of styled templates I can choose from.  Given what I am trying to accomplish, I don't need anything fancy, nor do I need plugin or external server supported stuff (webstore, or anything like that -- external integrations).  Just a simple way to put up a static site and periodically make small changes.   And some simple templates I can use to make it look "decent".

Any recommendations?

Ugh, I’m in the same boat with dreamweaver, it’s slowly degrading as I’m not into going to the monthly payments. I’ve been meaning to start a search like this myself. Let me know what you find. I took a very fast look like 6 months back and most stuff was geared to more modern stuff, not as friendly to simple static html. A few didn’t like ssi bits (for display) I used in many sites. Also fear online cms systems are taking over the little site market for the cheap or free software.

I’ve been backing out of the web biz here so priority keeps dropping for me...

cheers,

jeff

Martijn Meerts

The problem is that simple static html pages aren't often used anymore, so there's little reason for companies to do offline homepage building tools, especially free ones. Even for simple things, a lot of people will use something like wordpress, or some simple cms, although even those have started bloating like crazy. Same goes with forum software actually, a lot of them have become monsters.

Purely for editing code though, Visual Studio Code is surprisingly good, but it doesn't have any templates or a visual way of building sites. There might be some plugins for it that add that functionality though. Personally I use a combination of PHPStorm and Visual Studio Code, both for work and private stuff.