Drunkenclam

Hall Effect Sensors

Drunkenclam

I'm not sure if anyone has played around with these type of sensors instead of using IR. So I though I'd give it a go. So for those who don't know. Hall Effect sensors measure or detect changes in magnetic field. So I am hoping that the field generatad by the motor will be detected. Failing that. It is possible to add an earth magnet into a train car. So I'll build a small test 

Now I'm only intending to put basic signal lighting on my layout, so nothing to grand. I ordered some of these signals. 3 aspect and a little short of 4cm. These are currently on order.  

20190516_165945.thumb.jpg.e42872aceda5a5046e33284c9da1bd47.jpg

The sensors arrived today. This type is omnipolar. As these are meant to detect both N & S magnetic fields. 

20190516_170421.thumb.jpg.cf85c623ecc2d59c9408b5fde1f428ea.jpg

20190516_170400.thumb.jpg.58c89632b277aaf29c60913f3a301a5f.jpg

One of the things I might try is, if they work. Apply a little grey paint to them as they make nice ATC detectors, 🙂

20190516_170441.thumb.jpg.a96a702a8208558b146c2fc57c853b4d.jpg

• Like 5

chadbag

Do let us know how it works out!  Good luck!   I have some long term interest in this myself.   Short term I am working on other things, but longer term this is great!

Keith

I am also interested as detection is one of my long term goals.

cteno4

Small neodymium magnet on the belly of the loco should do it. Works for the Tomytec bus sensors.

jeff

• Like 1

Drunkenclam

I am hoping the trains own magnetic field would be enough. I'll have to rig it up to an analog input on the arduino and read the output readings for different trains. Then maybe put in some threshold limits. 

First build a small test breadboard, to make sure happy with the program. Then install a sensor a a straight section of track. Will probably fit 2. One in different planes. 

• Like 1