Shinoura (for want of it's final name...)

Gora

Hi All,

As mentioned to Mark Newton, just putting toes back into Japanese HO16 scale at present. 

The picture shows some 1:1 concept testing (using track, radii rulers, rolling stock) for this potential small layout. I'm testing out alternatives for a private line at a small harbour reached in the picture attached by the private line (from the right) and JNR (from the left) with perhaps a small station and yard in the lower left corner. Private line is resources-based hence the hoppers, JNR track will accord with a small port or village.

More thinking to go on this.

Cheers, A

IMG_8570[1].JPG

• Like 6

Thanks Kiha, it's Tenshodo's standard Ed29 which I have badged, weathered and also fixed (the drive shaft to one of the bogies came out) - so, pretty basic but this and a DD16 with a Kotoden railcar for passengers should be sufficient at this stage....or hopefully is as that's my entire stock (or will be as Mark has been exceedingly kind in selling it back to me)!

Cheers, A

• Like 2
Nick_Burman
18 hours ago, Gora said:

Hi Nick,

They're modified Tichy and didn't start out as Japanese......

http://shelley-railways-other-modelling.blogspot.com/2017/08/bhp-whyalla-bogie-ore-wagons.html

.......but are generic enough to possibly suit a private line. :^ )

Cheers, A

They look good behind the Toshiba loco... other alternatives would be the Bachmann OO scale BR Iron Ore hopper wagons (which look like some of the wagons used by Mitsui Miike) or the Frateschi (https://www.frateschi.com.br/web/vagoes-de-carga-gondolas/) 2100 series gable-bottom gondolas (if you can source them in Australia...). Paint them black, decal them and you are on your way...

Cheers Nicholas

• Like 1

Cheers Nick, agree! Nb. Are you really in Spilimbergo? My Grandfather in law was Friulian and emigrated from Toppo between the wars, we visited there a few years ago.

Cheers, A 

Nick_Burman
2 minutes ago, Gora said:

Cheers Nick, agree! Nb. Are you really in Spilimbergo? My Grandfather in law was Friulian and emigrated from Toppo between the wars, we visited there a few years ago.

Cheers, A 

Toppo di Travesio? Small world... yes, I live in Spilimbergo. Transferred here three years ago.

Cheers Nicholas

I'd be a bit concerned if you wanted to add a backdrop:

Usually you let the terrain raise towards the backdrop a bit such that you can cover the border between the layout and the backdrop.

Here, it's just the other way round, and the transition would be particularily obvious where the sea hits the backdrop.

On the other hand, you don't use a backdrop with your other Japanese layout, so my concerns are probably a non-issue.

Oh... and I can make out Schreiber's trusty Consul Pust - nice ship, you just have to rename it (to somethingsomething Maru)!

Hmmm, yes it will be a new challenge but hopefully there's a way. I have used acrylics in a "smudged representative" fashion on the backdrops I have painted on my two layouts thus far, certainly no artistic masterpieces but they have conveyed the impression I wanted. Two corners will have "headlands" or such and there may be distant islands which might help. Nb. Here's the placement of the layout (bottom right) in my railway room:

IMG_8578.JPG

It's deliberately non-core while I work out whether & how I do this, and gives room to expand if all goes well etc.

Kudos to you on Id'ing Consul Pust, though I am unlikely to use it. I was building it to test whether thin card models of this kind could work with my modelling but it's a bit obviously a card model if that makes sense.... More likely to use my earlier scratchbuild "Papanui", possibly renamed!

Cheers, A 

2013 (112).JPG

30171740_769473096579479_8802841123472939915_o.jpg

IMGA0064 2.JPG

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Gora said:

More likely to use my earlier scratchbuild "Papanui", possibly renamed!

IMGA0064 2.JPG

Cooey, that's one cute coaster! :love4:

(Looks a bit like a puffer's bigger brother)

13 hours ago, Gora said:

Kudos to you on Id'ing Consul Pust, though I am unlikely to use it. I was building it to test whether thin card models of this kind could work with my modelling but it's a bit obviously a card model if that makes sense....

I know what you mean, it looks just "different" in an environment where almost all is painted. Of course you could do just the same, i.e. paint it. I'm not too familiar with that particular kit, but at a quick glance it looks like there's too much printed-on detaill that you'd have to scratch.

The other question would be whether not to aim for something more japanese and less generic? I'm far ffrom being an expert, but I have the impression that japanese (coastal) craft tend towards a quite distinctively flared bow.

There's a 1/100 scale free downloadable paper kit of a tug at http://www.ne.jp/asahi/saitama/tozawa/html/paper/paper-index.html - simple but you shouldn't have big problems to use it as a template for a scratch built model. If that one is too modern for your purposes, you might find something more suitable in the http://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni208j-far-eastern-small-craft/index.htm intelligence handbook.

Michi

Cheers both, Yes it’s based on a condensed version of one of our 60-milers from the Sydney-Newcastle run.

Smaller coastal craft do have the bow extension (we sadly saw quite a bit of it in the tsunami footage), older and larger ships were much closer in profile to world standards, eg the profiles here: https://maritime.org/doc/id/oni208j-japan-merchant-ships/index.htm#toc

Cheers, A