TRod's First Layout

TRod

The final 1%!

I bought the set and got the freight cars, crane and JRF containers for free on points and the rest a small present from a friend who was with me.

I'm had no intention of buying the 10-1519, it was the last one l think. I sort of prefer the D51 200 set but keeping with my modern freight theme the 1519 was hard to pass up.

No more train shopping....... for today.

20190105_215726.jpg

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

The funny thing is I was going to make two suggestions for potential layouts, now it looks like there is only one clear choice. Given you had picked an EH500 for freight I was going to say the Tōhoku Mainline around Matsushima as you have the Senseki Line running nearby, the other suggestion was Kyushu as EH500-69 is a Moji Depot based locomotive.

• Like 1

Now the shopping is complete, well, finished is probably a better description, l think l will be designing a new layout.

A long main line for running the Seven Stars of Kyushu train as well as the EH500 with all the freight cars l got, even if it's only one line with a big passing siding, and then a stevedoring yard and one or two industries. I've got enough track to build something interesting, l do love my sidings and long trains.

Will be moving house in the coming months so nothing permanent will be set up yet, although l do have ample space to set up on the tiled floor.

Just brainstorming my options l could go modular with a small modul for the Kirara, big modual for the long trains including some central sidings and another small module for industries.

I want to build something BIG but manageable as it will have to share a space with wooden boat building and pottery studio.

Already looking forward to next year's shopping spree. BUILDINGS! I would love the To-ji temple set. I went there and it was very impressive for it's age.

Hope to find some books in English about Japanese trains, routes, companies and designers. I know the SS of K designer has done a lot in the past 20 yrs, would be good to read up on.

Home in 3 days.

Adios amigo.

20190103_122947.jpg

• Densha changed the title to First N Gauge Layout - KATO Uni Track
Davo Dentetsu

Collection's coming along quite nicely.  I think I'll start referring to my lot as "the 1%" to annoy my other half.  :P

Sounds like a good haul rod, where did you see that layout?  I have the kato book on building it and would love more pictures of the completed version to help my build.

• Like 1

Now I'm settled in the new place and built a 3m x 3m garden shed, l have a space to call my own and get a layout started.

I've got most of the bits like lots of track, Kato loco's and rolling stock and best of all..... a brand new door.

Time to play on the comp and design something with two loops, two layers and two industries.

I'll have to look up incline ratios, I'll keep them as small as possible bit l fear l may have to go a bit steeper than preferred.

(Once again struggling with pics even with phone camera set to 2mb)

This train will be departing shortly.

20190512_144921.jpg

Edited by TRod
  • Like 3

After an afternoon thinking and plotting and a rather late night last night doing the same, l have a few pieces of trackscattered around the Xtrack screen.

I have managed to create a folded dog bone with a 3.3% incline curving up from one end and along the back then a 3.3% descent around and down a loop reaching halfway back along the layout.

This allows a few options but probably rules out another big loop so two trains can run around while shunting yard work continues. 

I may have to forego the tw o levels and just run a raised line across the back. Maybe less is more and easier to construct, giving more enjoyment.  Creating the landscape is going to be a fun job.

Looking forward to another late night in the shed, need to get my little wood stove installed too as the nights are getting chilly.

When l have something I'll post it up.

• Like 3

I hope 3.3% isn't too much for your locos. I restricted myself to 2% so as not to worry.

Yes l had the koki's out for radius checks last night.

I'll be testing a R315 90° bend into 3 x 284 straight as the incline up to 55 or 60mm in height then a turn out and then down the other side the same as the incline.

My idea is to run the Kirara off the turn out and around a small radius oval which sits atop a plateau or mountain side as a tourist train. Then down to the lake at the bottom idea. I don't have enough room for a long second level.

I have a basic layout minus any yards on my computer, I'll log in on that and upload Xtrack pic for comments.

I need more turnouts.

Ok now. Outside loop will be the rise and fall of this, literally.

Starting from each end of the outside R315 curve, the track will ascend to about half a track length either side of the R Turnout. Just over 3% gradient by my late night reckoning. Will this work with my Seven Stars running straight through? It should, it may not, l will need to test. It's the running up, across and down all at the same time for long trains which I'm concerned about.

The R Turnout on the top there will lead to an R216 oval loop atop a plateau or around a peak with a scenic tourist attraction as the destination for the orange Kirara and maybe the D51.

I could shorten the oval and make another scenic attraction at the right foot of the hill ie: the lake/stream at the bottom of the waterfall, by using the L Turnout from the top of the middle loop.

I did think of putting the R turn out half way up the gradient and running a separate track up to the peak loop but that would interfere with the middle loop, not allowing room for it pass underneath. I only have on loop of track left which is R282, and it's too close to the outside loop with the outside gradient scenery so it's in the parts box still. Too large a radius tweak the shape of the upper loop.

The middle loop stays grounded and runs under the hill.

The yard, well l will be able to play around with that once l have constructed the loops and see what's left over. I have some of the 30,40,60,64 mm straight and curves to enable more than the horrible yard in the pic.

There are no more turnouts though. 5 right and 6 left.

This will be my first EVER multi-layer attempt outside of up and overs. I plan to build the outside loop and  inner peak loop then test trains with gradient, making sure l leave room for the middle track below.

I have 4mm ply for the base of the peak and to run the outside loop turnout over, this will give me a stable solid base to model scenery on. The inclines will probably be 2 or 3 mm ply, l do have some 5cm square polystyrene foam lengths l can cut down as solid inclines.

Anyways, once l have the base structure completed, all straight, even and SOLID, l'm thinking of either fly wire or small holed bird wire to form the terrain, paper machete over top.

This is my first real attempt outside of some green felt underlay and stick on foam roads, gees l hate that stuff. Nothing fancy, just an very cheep construct, the door cost $32. Living West Oz, I'm thinking spray glue and sand for ground cover, and just painted areas.

Tunnel mouths and low embankments can be walled with ply and all hand painted bricks. This will not, l repeat WILL NOT be a show piece. This will be me enjoying time and hopefully engaging my step daughter in the paper machete part, she is very creative and arty.

So, it's not a show piece, not proto-typical, not necessarily a Japanese scenery.

1202153501_DuffieldStation.thumb.JPG.9b5f7b112a844ef4937e57dd375623bd.JPG

Martijn Meerts

Just remember, as long as you're enjoying yourself, you're doing it right 🙂

As for the inclines, 3.3% should be fine depending on your locos. Most Kato and Tomix will go up it easy enough, even with a good amount of cars / coaches. The Unitrack / Finetrack incline sets are actually pretty steep as well, and even in a curve I've managed to run 16 car trains up them. 

• Like 1
On 1/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, Azumanga Davo said:

Collection's coming along quite nicely.  I think I'll start referring to my lot as "the 1%" to annoy my other half.  😛

Morning, l just got my posts mixes up and replied to Kiha66 and quotes Dave.

So...

Dave, hi. We should catch up one day given we both live in the same small city. Your welcome to come check out my build when it starts very soon.

@Kiha66 Yes it was the Kato shop in Tokyo.

Sorry for the very slow reply, I've had the trains packed away and not on the forum for a while.

I'm going to attempt to build something very similar too after revisiting this thread, couldn't remember where l posted and only just mastered the search function.

Cheers.

TRod.

Edited by TRod
  • Like 1
Davo Dentetsu
On 5/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, TRod said:

Morning, l just got my posts mixes up and replied to Kiha66 and quotes Dave.

So...

Dave, hi. We should catch up one day given we both live in the same small city. Your welcome to come check out my build when it starts very soon.

Cheers.

TRod.

Absolutely, will look forward to it.  :)

On 1/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, TRod said:

20190103_122947.jpg

Well I've just spent my Saturday night trying to replicate something close to this on a 2400 x 720mm board.

I did it using R249 as the tightest curve, and tested the 500 pulling all the freight cars and very slow speed and it was all good.

I then tried to make it so you could drive on and off each loop to the other without reversing, , not so easy.

Shall revisit tomorrow.

Laptop died so no more Xtrack planning, it's all hands on.

20190518_225137.jpg

Edited by TRod
  • Like 3

The trouble is, once you're one the figure of eight, that's it, you're on. You have to reverse to get off, which really annoys me but on the other hand, it means you have to perform some manoeuvre based on reality to reurnto the outside track.

I had to go down to R216 on the right end and  R249 on the left of the figure eight.

I haven't run any trains on it yet and I'll admit that everything didn't line up perfectly, which probably means this isn't the final layout.

20190519_190714.jpg

Here is a plan for a 720mm x 2400mm space. Outer loop with 315 curves and inner cross over double loop with 282 and 249 curves and viaduct curves.

337783356_720x2400a.thumb.jpg.562d84eed79d2325c0f29d44c3b639cc.jpg

Plan with track codes ..

720x2400.thumb.jpg.e689cabc76238b616f7315ab225ff0df.jpg

• Like 1

You're a very kind man Mr K. Thanks for the great looking layout plan. That's close to my original concept which leads me to think "I must make a decision".

I'm sure there's a few folks looking at my attempts thinking WTHeck is he thinking!

And now with no xtrack I'm really struggling. 

Thanks again.

TR.

Put this together last week.

The inclines are supported by make shift foam block's, a bit steep on one end and the upper level can come down  about 5mm.

The top spur is for the Kirara tourist destination.

I may have re-jig it a bit but this will be close to the finished item as it gives me two separate loops and enough yard and spur lines to keep it interesting.

Edited by TRod
  • Like 4