KoKi modification?

I happen to have this British container flatcar hanging out and I'm not sure what to do with it. That said, it looks sort of like an older or specialized KoKi car. Is there something that looks similar this that I can turn it into or would I need to change too much?

Deck

0504191231a.jpg

Underside

0504191231b.jpg

Trucks

0504191231.jpg

kevsmiththai

Oh My word!

These drawings are brilliant. I can see me knocking out all sorts of wagons using these. 

Thanks for the link

Kev

That's exactly what it is. I have three containers as well, but they're painted in Santa Fe. It had a rather odd (and excessively large/clunky) adapter to accept NMRA horn-hooks. I've since trashed them thinking I'll either sell it to someone in Britain on EBay or mount my own body-mounted draft boxes. Was hoping someone on here could assist with finding a KoKi that has similar trucks under it, but I've not been able to find anything yet. If I can't find anything close (or if it turns out that it's too far off of my Kato models) then I'll just sell it.

kevsmiththai

So I've done some digging on this and it appears that Triang, in another attempt to crack the U.S market rebranded some of these as ATT models and did the containers in various Canadian and U.S liveries including the Santa Fe back in 1968 so it is quite an old model.

The trucks would have had the Triang Horn hook couplers fitted in the U.K so it looks as if they cobbled some american style one on for the U.S dealers.

Don't forget that these models are actually 00 not H0 scale (4mm to the foot not 3.5mm)

Kev

So it may actually be significantly smaller than the Kato Koki and I won't be able to make it work. I guess I'll find out in a week or so when I have everything out again...

Welshbloke

It's a model of a BR Freightliner container flat from the 1960s. These ran as sets of five, with buffers and screw link couplings on the outer ends and solid bars linking the vehicles. Triang and later Hornby never did add the buffers, there is a detailing kit available but getting hold of one seems to be hard work (the usual British story of a small manufacturer who won't use the Internet). As delivered they ride too high, this can be corrected by removing the rivets and trimming the bogie pivots to lower the body.

Interestingly the real things weren't ISO container compatible from new. Initially they used an air operated locking mechanism which only worked with the dedicated containers, this was later changed to standard twist locks. They also tried a KoKiFu-style caboose which rode atrociously, the unions eventually managed to push BR to use old coaches as brake vehicles until an agreement was reached for the guard to ride in the rear cab of the loco.

I did know it was British, but did not know that much.

Was hoping there was a conflat that had similar trucks that I could turn this into, but no luck so far