Nationality of voice announcements on Japanese trains.

ben_issacs

Folks, 

When we're travelling on Japanese trains, generally on JR stock, there are often announcements over the speaker system, 'next station names', 'The doors on the left hand side will open' etc.

These announcements in English are delivered in a very pleasant, clearly spoken female voice, obviously   someone who is a native English speaker.

The lady's accent intrigues me, she doesn't sound North American, possibly educated English, some people reckon that she could be Australian, or even Kiwi.

Possibly what is called 'Mid-Atlantic'.

I've got a tin  ear, so are lousy on accents, someone who has a good ear for music would be better to comment on this!

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

She also did an episode on NHK's Train Cruise.

Most train companies, not just JR nowadays do Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English.

edit// nope different female I am thinking of than in the article attacted above.

Edited by katoftw
railsquid
5 hours ago, katoftw said:

Most train companies, not just JR nowadays do Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English.

Not sure what definition of "most" you're using here, but if we're talking about in-train voice announcements, then in the Kanto area ,on trains with automated announcements, Japanese and English is the standard. The only train I recall with Chinese/Korean as well is the Keisei Skyliner; possibly some Keikyu trans going to Haneda, and presumably the Narita Express (haven't been on that for a while though). Dunno what trains outside the Kanto area are doing these days, it's been a while since I left JR East territory, but I'd guess not much different.

Platform signage does increasingly include Chinese and Korean.

Yavianice
11 minutes ago, railsquid said:

So which train lines outside of the Kanto region have Chinese and Korean announcements?

The Kyushu area. 

railsquid

Aha, so "Most train companies in Kyushu, not just JR nowadays do Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English" might be more accurate. Though the video is only the Shinkansen.

bikkuri bahn

Fwiw multilingual announcements are quite common on Kansai area trains, in particular the ones frequented by tourists. I've been told the region is more popular among Korean and Chinese than Tokyo, so there certainly is an audience. I was just on a Kintetsu Urban Liner service earlier this evening, and the announcements were in four languages.

Yavianice

@railsquid

Here is an announcement in the Super Ozora (283 series) in Chinese.

Usually when I encounter Chinese announcements its for significant occasions e.g. terminus stations or important stations Chinese people might go to.

railsquid

Yup, it's definitely an increasingly common thing on certain mainly premium services on routes likely to be frequented by tourists.

Edited by railsquid
railsquid

FWIW JR East uses the narration services of one Jean Wilson from the UK.

E353 announcements (Japanese/English only):

(If memory serves correctly, the platform announcements at Shinjuku for the Azusa services are in Chinese as well).

lesliegibson

And  now more than Japanese and English on Super Hokuto expresses between Shin Hakodate Hokuto and Sapporo. I guess Chinese but stand to be corrected.

ben_issacs

Folks, 

Are the Chinese announcements in Both Mandarin and Cantonese, or just (more likely) Mandarin only?

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.