kato parts??

Jimbo

I won a E81 off e bay, its like new an by the looks of it never run,, of course the paper work is in Japanese,, its missing the lower plate to mount the coupler, Ive done some searching an cant come up with anything?? The seller stated he was going to chance the couplings,  I guess the seller lost the mount an gave up?? lol I cant read Japanese !!! an there is no real part number that I can tell?? Thanks for any info,

Model number?

Replacement coupling mounts (actually the entire "skirt" area below the cabs) are available.

• Like 1

Ha Thanks I need to re learn my words I guess!!!     Yes I finally found something but sold out in two different places    also called a debris deflector ?? 

The part number for Kato's Skirt+Coupler Assemblys should be a "C3" added to the model number, i.e. if your EF81 is model number 3066-1 it would be part number 3066-1C3.

"Debris Deflector" seems to be a bit of a literal translation of "Skirt" but it is possibly the same part.

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1

If you have the paperwork as you say, you don't need to read Japanese.  You just need to look at the diagrams of all the parts and below are the part number for that part.  The part numbers are in roman, so you'll have no issue reading them.

9 hours ago, railsquid said:

Model number?

Replacement coupling mounts (actually the entire "skirt" area below the cabs) are available.

3021-1

sure it aint 3066-1?  I see no EF81s as 3021-x listed on the kato website

edit// actually i did find it.  it is an old model long been terminated.

Edited by katoftw

http://ngage-figure-saint-seiya-mobilesuit.blog.jp/archives/2979212.html

I found this website.  i compared the coupler and skirt to the 3066-x variant.  and while the lower sections are the same, the inner and upper sections are different and would need modifying.

https://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/m322745576/

https://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/349550374/

http://kunnpuu238.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-272.html

Correct.

As it happens I have this exact same model with a similar issue and have already acquired the equivalent 3066 replacement parts, will see if I can do something with them and will report back.

FWIW replacement pantographs for this model are also no longer available, but current Kato EH500 ones can be used as a replacement.

Aha, exactly the same problem mine has.

These are the replacement parts I purchased:

47692152901_50ba6b3747_z.jpg

Kato EF81 coupling assembly replacement by Rail Squid, on Flickr

The upper grey part is slightly different (the modern version has a magnet to hold train boards in place) but the black part which holds the coupling in place can be removed and fits just fine into the old model:

47639083812_57a3af2bdb_z.jpg

FYI the real EF81-95 is still in service, I saw it yesterday.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, railsquid said:

The upper grey part is slightly different (the modern version has a magnet to hold train boards in place) but the black part which holds the coupling in place can be removed and fits just fine into the old model:

47639083812_57a3af2bdb_z.jpg

Ummm, unfortunately while the black part clips in fine, it appears to be slightly longer than the old version and the bottom is way too low, reaching almost to the rails, meaning it's prone to getting stuck on trackwork, particularly points :(.

Some modification might be needed...

Thanks    I have a set coming from Japan,,   My E bay seller there found a set an will do a buy it now for me,,

the e bay seller got me a set of those an did a buy it now for me,, so it should be shipped out on Monday my time,, will see how it works out??

• Like 1