Sign in to follow this  
ben_issacs

Political Vans - A couple of unusual Japanese road vehicles

cteno4

Loudspeakers easily carved as they are so tiny (like 3-4mm long) not much detail needed. Styrene strip and file it to shape and cut off.

jeff

JR 500系

Wow based on his car alone I can almost cast my vote! I love it! 

Strange that Japan allows vehicles to be painted as much as you like ~ Here, we have strict guidelines about paint and stickers on vehicles and anything that flashy would probably be impounded pretty fast... hence our vehicles are... well... pretty boring.. 

ben_issacs

Jeff,

In re modelling the flat loudspeakers, the method that you described is the same as one I suggested earlier on, , just cutting the shape out of suitably thick plastic sheet or strip, and painting the rectangular end black.

Just going a bit off topic, Godzilla.

This name is not a Japanese one, it was invented in  the States when the movie was to be shown there. 

The actual Japanese name in Roman for this creature is 'Gojira, which can be written in Katakana/Hiragana.

But, I reckon, most of us will stick with Godzilla, as that's the name best known in the Western world.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

cteno4

Bill,

they wouldn’t take much work if you are good at small bits. I like doing tiny things. Since they are usually all one color the recess would not be seen from further that like 50’ or 4” scale, all you would see is the shape.

yes many books here on goji along with an assortment of n scale gojis.

jeff

ben_issacs

Jeff'

One of the modules in our small group's collection does have an N scale 'Godzilla' crunching up an EMU car.

This gets a bit of attention at exhibitions.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

cteno4

Goji is almost always makes an appearance somewhere on our club layout at shows, usually crushing cars, about to crumble tall buildings, news helicopter in hand (you need a fan on a hot Tokyo evening of pulling down building and belching radioactive flames), and chomping on a gasoline truck for a spritzer. We hide a little Bluetooth speaker behind him and when folks get close blast a goji roar from the cell phone and make folksmjump. You can mess with them as they think it’s a motion sensor so if two people are there you only fire it when one person moves and not the other. We got two little old ladies once that when one would start to talk goji would roar but not the other. Had them both talking to goji for a good while!

I have all the fixings for a 60s battle scene with appropriate tanks, jets, trucks, artillery and troops. Some day along with a high tension tower half mangled and a toppled building. Some strobes going off now and then for effects. Most is easy to do it’s actually doing a decent toppled and crunched building that is harder modeling. The 17” goji may work on a full depth double module but the 20”+ Tokyo marui rc gojis (I have the 54 and 89 versions but only one functioning mech) are going to need a special set of back to back Ttrak modules or fit on. But they should be fun as you can make them move as well and really make folks jump!

goji is our club mascot and slogan on the back of our club tee shirts.

http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/images/goji150.jpg

I also have a couple of 5’ and 6’ blow up gojis that are quite a hit at shows, we should be charging $1 per selfie with him as we would be rich.

http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/photos/_goji/index2.html

would love the rc mothra larvae, but that’s just a sick price these days. Do have an inflatable mothra that’s acout 40” wing span but it’s a bit hard to try to hang at most events...

jeff