Cricket in Japan?

ben_issacs

Folks, 

Walking through Nagoya station many years ago, I saw a door with a notice above it, 'Nocturnal Wicket'.

Being Australian, I thought, beyond this door, is there an area where the game of cricket, which involves wickets, is played at night?

But no, further reflection bought the thought that this phrase actually meant 'Night Gate, a gate to be used when the main barriers are closed late at night.

I wonder if this phrase was a mechanical translation, which often can come up with some strange results.

Not too many people now-a-days would use the word 'nocturnal' for 'night', and even fewer the word 'wicket' for 'gate'.!

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Sounds like something from the age of word-for-word dictionary translation. Nowadays most "odd-looking" English sentences have obviously been mangled through an online translation service.

I did once meet someone (an Australian IIRC) who claimed to be the coach for the national Japanese cricket team, I did wonder if he was having me on but it turns out there is such a thing.

Railsquid, 

Yes, I go for the mechanical or online translation service.

And, I'm not surprised that cricket is actually played in Japan, there are probably enough British Commonwealth expatriates there to run up a few teams.

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Years ago I worked in a Canadian hotel that had "Next Wicket Please" signs for when a front desk position was closed. I think it may UK in origin because that hotel also had British pillar box in the lobby.

Wicket gates or wicket windows are quite common. It is just not a commonly used term these days.

Edited by katoftw