E4 Shinkansen cars, an unusual feature.

Folks, 

An interesting feature of the E4 Shinkansen double deck cars is that they have, at each end, a small lift (US elevator).

These are necessary to transport the food trolley and its attendant between the upper and lower levels, and the intermediate level.

Whilst there are other double decker trains , both in Japan and other countries, do these trains also have lifts fitted, or do they not have food trolley services?

If not, could the E4 Shinkansens be  the only trains in the world with their own lifts?

Regards,

Bill, 

Melbourne.

The IC2000 doubledecker and the new Twindexx Swiss Express of the SBB in Switzerland do feature trolley lifts in them. But only in one car each.

The older VIRM double decker IC trains in The Netherlands also have elevators for food carts. But I do not think these were ever used. For the revision these elevators are replaced by extra luggage compartments.

I think the elevator would be catered more for prams and wheelchairs perhaps? The last time I was on the E4 and the E217 Green Car, attendants were going around with baskets, like squid has mentioned ~  I didn't notice the elevator on the E217 though if memory serves me right... Didn't see elevators on the 285s Sunrise, 215s nor Kintetsu Vista car too from youtube videos... 

The elevator on the E4s is specifically for food carts, though I suspect they might not be used much these days.

Conventional double-decker trains are too small for such luxuries.

Folks, 

Doubt whether one could fit a wheel chair in the E4 lift, it looks too narrow, and it's very unlikely that a mother would trust her child in a stroller in one, might get stuck in there!

But, further on the wheel chair and pram/stroller bit, how are these handled on the E4's, it's a long time since I was in one, is there a bit of space in the entrance vestibules with a seat?

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

serotta1972

I recently rode the E4 from Niigata to Ueno knowing it may not be running the next time I visit Japan.  I took a picture of the train diagram and it does show wheelchair access on some cars. Also, I was in the Green Car and it had trolley service.

IMG_8529.thumb.jpg.e8ac8b92a1839a6519b4721d21ef984b.jpg

Interesting ~ I vaguely recall seeing the wheelchair logo on one of those elevators... And I don't recall service carts passing through too when I was on the upper deck of the Green Class E4... 

Didn't know E4 even had a service booth in one of the cars! Thanks squid for sharing that linky!  🙂

The service booth was empty when I rode the E4. Also the handicap icons I think indicate locations where there are seats next to the doors (in between levels) rather than for elevator use.

addendum: never mind. Saw that not all icons are at FL cars

Edited by Yavianice
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

Interesting ~ I vaguely recall seeing the wheelchair logo on one of those elevators... And I don't recall service carts passing through too when I was on the upper deck of the Green Class E4...

A bit of googling reveals that the elevator in car no. 8 is in fact wheelchair-compatible.

• Thanks 1

Folks, 

An interesting, but rather wobbly video, seems shot by the wheel chair user.

So, the lifts are bigger than I thought.

And, what does 'FL' indicate, can't read the English on the car diagram.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

1 hour ago, ben_issacs said:

Folks, 

An interesting, but rather wobbly video, seems shot by the wheel chair user.

So, the lifts are bigger than I thought.

Just the ones in car number 8.

No idea what FL means either.

Which reminds me, there should be FL seats on most (if not all) of the double decker car trains? They are usually at the ends of the cars so they would not need to have to negotiate those stairs... I recall seeing this too in the E217s now that this is being mentioned...