Kato vs Tomix slab tracks for shinkansen

KiHa 283

I have been wondering this since I decided to begin collecting shinkansen trains.

Both Kato and Tomix offer "slab tracks" (concrete tracks with no ballasting) for high-speed trains or some elevated commuter tracks. I was wondering which of the two companies offers the most  "anatomically" correct slabtrack rails for shinkansen lines (I have tried looking for photographic documentation but it's quite scarce unfortunately).

Kato's slab track is ground track whereas Tomix's slab track is viaduct track apart from a couple of pieces intended to be uses in stations. Shinkansen tracks are generally segregated from other traffic. Viaduct sections are common as are tunnels. Radius options are limited with both Kato and Tomix.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=rail&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=slab+track

• Like 1

Also bear in mind that not all Shinkansen track is slab track, here's the Joetsu Shinkansen where it transitions from conventional to slab track north of Tokyo:

https://goo.gl/maps/e9KQvhENbiP2

Elevated non-Shinkansen lines (at least the ones I'm familiar with in the Tokyo area) also tend to be conventional ballasted track (actually I can't think of any which aren't).

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Elevated non-Shinkansen lines (at least the ones I'm familiar with in the Tokyo area) also tend to be conventional ballasted track (actually I can't think of any which aren't).

I've noticed this is true, but newer elevated stations (at least in Kyushu) have the station tracks as slab track while the elevated main line is ballasted.

• Like 2
On 4/9/2019 at 12:38 PM, railsquid said:

Now I can - the two JR lines I use very rarely, the Saikyo line between Akabane and Omiya, and the Keiyo line between Tokyo and wherever it hits ground level in the Chiba area.

• Like 1