JR-Chiisai

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

Picture time!

large.jrc-nscale-0021-yard-labelling.jpg

Used a Brother label printer to make some labels. Initially I wanted to put them in between the 2 rails as seen on this picture, but decided against it.

large.jrc-nscale-0022-yard-labelling.jpg

This is the yard fully labelled on the top. The reason I labelled the top is that it just makes it easier to quickly see what's what. Many of the track are just 1 long section, so those were obvious, but the right most track in this picture is divided into 8 blocks, and each block has 2 feedback sections, so in that case the labels definitely help.

large.jrc-nscale-0023-yard-labelling.jpg

Bottom of the middle section. I used the same label here to label the red and blue wires. I also made some custom lengths ethernet cables to connect the S88 occupancy detectors.

large.jrc-nscale-0024-shinkansen-and-express-lines.jpg

Started working on the main station for the shikansen and express line. The shinkansen line is just 2 tracks and 1 additional spur. For some visual difference, these tracks use concrete sleepers. The express line is basically a 4 track station, with a 5th track being a track specifically for freight. This track is slightly longer then the station tracks, which I partially did so that I have a track that can hold the entire Morning Daylight train 🙂

large.jrc-nscale-0025-initial-automated-test-run.jpg

Everything I have built so far in place and connected as far as possible. I also did some setup in iTrain so I could test some of the automation. As already said, still plenty to do, but this Fleischmann BR E10 Rheingold with Minitrix 1962 Rheingold coaches has been doing a few loops around the "layout" fully automated. The reason I went with this train, it that it's the only one for which I have speed measurements set up in iTrain for some reason. I have also ran the GG1 at the same time as the E10, which works fine, but the GG1 runs a bit awkward due to not having speed measurements.

large.jrc-nscale-0026-foreman-on-site.jpg

The foreman also arrived on site to check on progress and to make sure everything was being done correctly and to make sure no one was in danger during construction. I may or may not have bribed him with some nuts ...

• Like 9

That sure is purty! Nice work martijn! Now that is a yard!

forman looks mighty fierce, would not mess with him at all. Good to know he can be bribed for peanuts…

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

No visual changes again, but I've been trying to set up multiple trains with some basic motor control, speed measurements and lengths. By now I've got about 7 trains that can run fully automated. There are some trains with issues though, for example, the Broadway Limited articulated coach sometimes derails on a rather tight curve. I could try to fix that, but in the end that train will never run on that curve once more of the layout is done.

I also have an old release of the Kato C57-180 with the cream and red SL Banetsu Monogatari coaches. The loco has a really weird speed curve which I can't adjust with the decoder it has. Also, it seems the traction tires have gone bad, since it's not really able to pull much of anything at all 😄

Getting the trains to run well is going to take a lot of time, and quite a few will need their decoders replaced (I have a lot of them with old Lenz decoders, and much of the stuff my father used to run is Selectrix), but it's nice to finally see some stuff run through the yard, fully automated.

Next steps now from a layout building perspective, is to connect the final 4 tracks from the helix to the station, and then get some wood to build another 2 section bases, 1 to finish of the station, and another that will initially serve as a temporary section for a couple of return loops.

(Also, IMON is apparently going to release an 8620 kit in H0j sometime in the coming months, so there's still this internal nagging voice going on about focussing more on the H0j stuff, even with there being actual progress on the N stuff o.O)

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts
5 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Oh WOW you have a helix storage yard as well!!! NEAT!! Are those DCC controlled by a software? 

The helix has several blocks in it, so theoretically I guess it could sort of be a yard of sorts 😄 

And yes, everything is controlled by iTrain, although it's not all set up correctly yet. Some trains run a bit too far into certain blocks for example, and some blocks have very low speed limits set, which causes the flow of the trains to get messed up. Still plenty optimising to do there.

8 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

The helix has several blocks in it, so theoretically I guess it could sort of be a yard of sorts 😄

If you install a few curve turnouts in the helix, you could do shunting in that yard too. 🙃

• Haha 1
Martijn Meerts

Just go for quality curved turnouts, otherwise most of the puzzling you’ll be doing is finding out where all the derailed rolling stock went 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Martijn Meerts

So, an update on this ...

Last weekend I was visiting a model train club in Germany, where they were running some fairly long trains. Seeing this made me realise that I just don't have the space to build a large station for long trains without making it look silly and forced. Several people have already warned me about this fact, but me being the stubborn idiot that I am, it took a while to finally come to the same conclusion.

So, for now at least the project will be on hold for a while. I will keep the yard and helix intact of course, but the 2 sections I made that were the start of the large station I will dismantle. The yard will be split up into its separate sections and put into storage. The helix is too big to put in storage, but luckily I made it in such a way that I can cover it up with some wooden sheets, so I can use it as a sort of workbench / test space for other things.

In the meantime, I'll be more focussing on the H0 project, as well as finally working on a bunch of various model kits I have lying around. Some of these are unnecessarily taking up quite a bit of space.

I may at some point pick 1 of the Kunihiko Ikeda designed layouts and build that, but only after I've managed to create enough space to be able to comfortably work on it.

• Like 3

Maybe this is the way. Have an Ikeda-style layout at home (maybe including the helix at some point and a small yard for some diversity), and sometimes visits to this club you mentioned. Running trains together is always more fun imo.