chadbag

You know its getting close to the trip when the kids start watching YouTube "Only in Japan" : Chadbag July 2019

chadbag

The kids are officially in "excited" mode for our July-Aug trip to Japan.  They've (we all have) started watching "Only in Japan" episodes on YouTube.    

It has gotten them motivated to want to ride the "Sunrize Express" all the way from Tokyo to Izumo.  While I dread sleeping in those "free to reserve" cubbies, I will endure it for the experience.  I need to do some planning research to see if we can arrange a time slot.  We will be away for 21 days worth of JR travel (plus an extra travel day to get there) and will be going to Hokkaido for a few days.   The

"Only in Japan" has also gotten us excited to try the Eizan line / Kurama line in Kyoto as well.  Probably stay the night and spend one day riding that and stopping at various places along the way and one day in Kyoto itself.  We'll see.

I'm trying to see what else we can fit into our schedule -- either day trips from Amagasaki or Kobe (not sure where we are staying with my MILs illness) or longer overnight trips.   I'd like to arrange a Steam Train ride but not sure that will fit as those seem to be Saturday only excursions.

What are nice scenic day-trip from the Osaka/Kobe area for rail riding or otherwise?

• Haha 1

cteno4

Awesome sauce, what ever gets them excited about the adventure!

jeff

Das Steinkopf
Posted (edited)

You could catch the Eiden to Yase-Hieizan-guchi and from there catch the Keifuku Cable Line and then the Eizan Ropeway up to Hiei-zan, you can visit the Garden Museum Hiei, after that you can take a short walk to To-do Enryakuji, once you have done that walk back halfway down the road and catch the Hieizan Sakamoto Cable Car, from the Sakamoto terminus you then take about a five minute walk to Keihan Sakamoto. Once you are there you could take a ride to Ishiyama Dera which is at the other end of the Ishiyama Sakamoto line, you could either take a walk to Ishiyama Dera temple or just take a break and enjoy the scenery of the Seta Gawa at the park nearby, from there you  board the train again and travel to Hamaotsu where you change trains and take a Keihan Keishin train into Kyoto. You could take the train to Sanjo Keihan or continue along the Tozai Line, alternatively you could get off at Yamashina and walk over to the JR station and catch the train to Kyoto station.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

katoftw

Kurama line reopened yet?

serotta1972

Go to Onomichi, nice little seaside town. And you get to ride a renewed 115 from Fukuyama to Onomichi. You can rent bikes and ride over to the other islands and take the bus back. 

chadbag
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, katoftw said:

Kurama line reopened yet?

You mean from al the typhoon damage?  Yes.  The Only in Japan guy just uploaded his video about the line on March 29th and in it he talks about that and interviews a railway official who talked about the cleanup and rebuild 

Edited by chadbag
  • Thanks 1

katoftw

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen any news on it. And they didn't announce it on facebook. Surprizing.

• Like 1

ben_issacs

Folks, 

Yes, the round trip to and from Mt. Hei is really worthwhile, especially if the weather is good.

The walk from the bus stop through the forest to the top terminus of the cable railway  is peaceful. only the sound of the occasional temple bell along the way.

If one can get to Toyama, the adjacent Kurobe Gorge narrow gauge, 2'-6", line is a goodie, curving and climbing along a picturesque river gorge.

Or, again from Toyama, the Alpine Route is also great. 

Up through the mountains, buses,  some railways, a funicular in a tunnel, Japan's last trolley bus operation, in a tunnel, and also a battery powered bus in tunnel.

This would require a full day to do the round trip.

Out from Tokyo, the Enoshima (Enoden) is an interesting elec. line, runs along the shore of Tokyo Bay, a section of street running with the big Enoden trains arguing with cars, access from Tokyo stn. by the Blue stripe Keihen EMUs to Ofuna, then the Shonan suspended monorail to Enoshima station on the Enoden, which is approximately in the centre of the Enoden system.

Each terminal of the Enoden connects with JR elec. lines, so there is also a possibility of a round trip there.

If you're in Kyushu, a trip from Nagasaki to 'Huis Ten Bosch', also called 'Dutch Village' is  a pleasant outing.

This place is a large representation of a nineteenth century Dutch town, beautifully done.

No rail stuff there, but as it on the sea, there is a working replica of an early Japanese side wheeler warship.

There are Ltd Exp services to Huis ten Bosch from Hakata, and semi-expresses from Nagasaki.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Like 1

chadbag

Just a plug for the "Only in Japan" channel on YouTube.  The guy who runs it has been living and working in Japan since the late 90s (and is now married to a Japanese as of quite recently) and he goes and does all sorts of things all over Japan and reports on them.  Our whole family likes to watch it (though we tend to do more watching of it as we get closer to a trip to Japan) and even my wife learns things about areas outside of where she group on that she did not know (and some things about Kansai, where she grew up).

• Like 1

Grant_T
On 4/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, chadbag said:

You mean from al the typhoon damage?  Yes.  The Only in Japan guy just uploaded his video about the line on March 29th and in it he talks about that and interviews a railway official who talked about the cleanup and rebuild 

We rode it in December (in the snow). It was excellent. The Only in Japan video (and channel) is excellent. I have it in the back of my mind to build the Kurama line as my next layout. 

• Like 1

ben_issacs

Chadbag.

Something to do in the Kyoto area is the Sagano Kanko (Scenic) railway.

A short, 7.3 km. tourist line which uses part of the old JR Sanin Main Line along a river gorge.

Diesel loco, half a dozen short carriages, some open.

Runs from Torokko Saga, to Torokko Kameoka.

T. Saga is close to the JRW  Sanin M.L. station of Saga Arashiyama, T. Kameoka is a short walk from JRW Sanin Umahori stn.

A very scenic run

.Generally pretty busy, can't remember if a JR Rail Pass is current on this, but a local Kansai area pass could be.

Adjacent to T. Saga is a 'Piano and SL Museum'.

Yes, you read correctly.!

A large collection of pianos, and an interesting steam loco collection also, worth a look at whilst awaiting the Sagano train.

And if one is game, one can take a boat ride through the river rapids back along the adjacent river from the Kameoka end of the line .

But, can't work out where this river trip ends up in Kyoto!

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Thanks 1

Martijn Meerts

Interestingly, I've been looking at the Sagano scenic railway as inspiration for part of my layout. It definitely looks very interesting (not just for the train in my case, but the whole scenery with the mountains and forests and everything)

• Like 1

sandiway
16 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Something to do in the Kyoto area is the Sagano Kanko (Scenic) railway.

That's something I didn't do during my sabbatical year at Kyoto University. It seemed overly touristy to me at the time, but now I regret not having taken it anyway for completeness.

Mt Hiei is a nice hike up from the Kyoto side (by the Shugakuin Imperial Villa). It's part of the Kyoto Trail (which nearly circumnavigates Kyoto in the hills) and is nicely signposted. From the top in some locations one can see both Lake Biwa (on the Shiga side) and Kyoto. And looking south, on a clear day, one can see Osaka also.

• Like 1