Grim’s First Layout

grimd0rkNess

grimd0rkNess

Hey guys,

I have been lurking here for a while and looking at all the layouts and everything and I think I’m ready to dive in. I just don’t know what to do to get the most bang for my buck. 

I have a space that is about 225cm x 225cm, but it’s in a sharply sloping eave space so the back of the area is only 36cm high. I’d really like to do a multi-layered build with a station and a lot of over/under track.

I am thinking of going with unitrack in N scale, to squeeze as much as possible out of the space. I definitely want to do passenger trains with maybe one short freight train. I’m much more interested in continuous running, rather than point to point and I would love to be able to have several trains running at once. 

I have been messing around in scarm, but I never feel like I come up with something worth building. 

I can can post pictures of the space if that’s helpful for a clearer idea.

Any advice for a total noob?

Brian

• Like 1
grimd0rkNess
35 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

This is perfect! I think that 1800 X 900 one you linked is an excellent starting point. I can plan in for expansion from there. I’m going to check out the other ones on that page, too. I had only seen the Kato USA track plans. 

• Like 1

Mr Hirai's layout is a 1800 x 900mm movable layout (January 2019 YouTube comment). These are his introduction videos.

Edited by bill937ca

Mr Hirai's layout is a 1800 x 900mm movable layout (January 2019 YouTube comment)  These are his introduction videos.

• Like 1
grimd0rkNess

It looks like he's running 4(?) power sources/throttles plus the point controls. Would it be possible to use an arduino or raspberry pi type system to cut down on that? I'm super interested in the electronics and automation aspects of the hobby. 

I guess ideally, I'd like to be able to run the whole setup from a computer near the layout. 

The usual for a lot of Japanese dc layouts is to run each line on a separate throttle. I’m guessing there are 4 distinct loops on the layout.

lots of things can be done with automation, different ways to do it, it’s a lot of creating it on the fly if you use arduino, but lots of examples out there from folks rolling their own automation systems. Lots of automation possible with dcc as well with a lot more commercial and open source options for sensing and control and whole layout control.

tomix also makes an sensor based automation system for limited automation of smaller loops like alternating running two trains on a loop with a passing siding and such.

jeff

This 2275 x 973 layout maybe of interest. It's off a Noch Kato page.

https://www.kato-unitrack.de/media//Gleisplan.jpg

This combination consists of four sets: 

7078620 Master Set M1
 7078632 Variations-Set V2 
 7078634 Variations-Set V4 
 7078636 Variations-Set V6

https://www.kato-unitrack.de/master-set-m1-einfaches-gleisoval-mit-kato-powerpack.html

Click Basteltipps (craft ideas in English). 

grimd0rkNess

I ended up buying the stuff to go with the first 1800X900 plan you posted, Bill, it seems like expanding on that one will be pretty easy. I can already foresee getting a crossover to allow in/out track movement and the v15 to expand the station.

• Like 1

Moderator note — Brian’s started construction on this so he has annew thread over in the Layout Build forum!

jeff