Container Yard Necessities?

GDorsett

Starting to collect the things I need for a container yard. I have a handful of European semis/straight trucks that I can modify to run containers, but I'm not sure what else I need. I have a 1/87 scale PC90 Piggy Packer top-loader, but they're too big for the Domestic containers and my forklifts are all much too small to handle containers. Do 1/80th scale lifts for domestic containers exist or do I need to get another model to modify and does anyone have suggestions?

Also, what do I need other than some lifts and trucks and an office? Do I need an overhead crane, loading ramps, docks, etc?

I asked a similar question sometime last year. Nah00 pointed me in the direction of the Veissman Kalmer Forklift, which is probably the closest thing. Would obviously need some painting.

There’s a distinct lack of scenic material available in Japanese HO scale, possibly due to space restrictions at home and very temporary communal spaces.

Even at the modeling events, the HO layouts tend to be just track in loops or very basic scsenery running trains round and around. As Tomytec/Tomix offer an ever expanding range of containers, I’m really surprised they haven’t taken up the idea to produce some container yard help. Then again they still haven’t released a decent quality n scale model either. 

12 hours ago, GDorsett said:

Also, what do I need other than some lifts and trucks and an office? Do I need an overhead crane, loading ramps, docks, etc?

I have never seen overhead cranes used in Japanese yards. Heavy duty toplifters can move the biggest containers and are much more versatile.

Loading docks and covered loading sheds exist at some older terminals but seem little used, probably built for the use of van trains.

Often there is literally nothing more than a wide flat desert of concrete to move and stack containers on, with offices and crew facilities clustered around the road entrance.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:19 PM, Kamome said:

There’s a distinct lack of scenic material available in Japanese HO scale, possibly due to space restrictions at home and very temporary communal spaces.

Even at the modeling events, the HO layouts tend to be just track in loops or very basic scsenery running trains round and around. As Tomytec/Tomix offer an ever expanding range of containers, I’m really surprised they haven’t taken up the idea to produce some container yard help. Then again they still haven’t released a decent quality n scale model either. 

I'm just gonig to use normal HO scale stuff for now untill more comes available. Use as little structures as possible. Most of my cars are American, so I can't use them anyways. Figured I could do a container yard for modules as it's more or less flat for containers.

16 hours ago, Space Beaver said:

I have never seen overhead cranes used in Japanese yards. Heavy duty toplifters can move the biggest containers and are much more versatile.

Loading docks and covered loading sheds exist at some older terminals but seem little used, probably built for the use of van trains.

Often there is literally nothing more than a wide flat desert of concrete to move and stack containers on, with offices and crew facilities clustered around the road entrance.

Kinda what I figured. I do have a heavy top-lifter (The PC90) so I can use that.

16 hours ago, martin67 said:

Hi,

Kibri #11750 could be suitable, although it's 1/87. Maybe you may need to "upsize" the cabin a little bit in order to get it closer to japanese HO.

Here's the real thing, I presume you were looking for something like this:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:JR貨物_福岡/苅田港駅----⑤.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Martin

Yes, that is what I am looking for. All three of my forklifts are small warehouse/store/small lumber lifts. Have had difficulty finding bigger lifts like that. The model you suggested looks like it will work, now to just find a supplier I know/like/trust/etc. Thank you!

For a small yard, could I get away with just one or two lifts?