Rolling stock // Can a Kato and Tomix EMU run together?

Robert

Hello everyone,  I am a beginner at the Japanese railway and I'm currently building a busy station so I can run busy commuter trains. I've recently bought a Kato and a Tomix EMU units and was wondering if they can run together? Can you get couplings for the unit ends?

Thank you for your help,  happy modelling 👍

Edited by disturbman
Move & Clarification
  • Like 1

They can be ran together.  But you need to be aware that the motors will be different and will run at different speeds.  They may come with traction tyres, and if so, then the two EMU units may fight against eachother.  IF on unit has no traction tyres, then the metal wheel on metal rail allows for some slip, and the fighting is reduced.

Kato and Tomix couplers are different.  Again there are specific couplers depending on the EMU unit involved.  Most use their own version of Shibata couplers.  You can buy third party products that allow you to fit the other manufacturers couplers to eachother, but the comes with an added cost and irreversible modifications.

• Thanks 1

What makes it even more confusing is that Kato have two different types of Shibata coupler, neither of which are compatible with Tomix or indeed each other. Compare 11-703 with the couplers on the E235 to see the two types.

I've decided to make my main fleet be the JR 313 units, and I believe both companies make them, so if  I can convert them so they can couple together,  then I'll be happy to do so. Please can you tell me which to use? (Pics if poss) 

Thank you for you help 👍 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:42 PM, Welshbloke said:

What makes it even more confusing is that Kato have two different types of Shibata coupler, neither of which are compatible with Tomix or indeed each other. Compare 11-703 with the couplers on the E235 to see the two types.

I take I can couple more than one Tomix unit together, but do I need to add coupling units beforehand?

On 3/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, Robert said:

I've decided to make my main fleet be the JR 313 units, and I believe both companies make them, so if  I can convert them so they can couple together,  then I'll be happy to do so. Please can you tell me which to use? (Pics if poss) 

Thank you for you help 👍 

Most of the third party parts are for older stock that are not been in production a long time and people are forced to run a mutant combo of manufacturers. 313s do not fit this bill.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

I take I can couple more than one Tomix unit together, but do I need to add coupling units beforehand?

Depends on the models. All different couplers involved. Cannot answer without some info like which models you are talking about. The catalog number/s are best.

Here is a video of replacing the standard KATO coupler with a TN coupler by Miyakomokei so you can connect KATO and TOMIX 313's together.

• Like 1

This looks whey too complicated just to change couplings...lol I'll make do with I can get. Thank you for your help