Standard stations

Keith

Hi all,

I’m starting to research for my layout, it will be Japanese themed, but not necessarily totally accurate to any one area. I want to determine a few different “standard stations” so I get the right feel. These will include a terminus near the water, mid sized station 4-8 tracks which I can shorten to 8 cars long (maybe 2 level) and maybe a couple of other sized stations and hopefully some industry.  The period is quite fluent, but it would be good to do before any rationalisation. 

I had a look at googlemaps of the Onomichi to Hiroshima section of the San-yo line which I enjoyed travelling along earlier this year and can see a couple of standard station formation, but probably not the type I was looking for.

Rather than stare at googlemaps which may have rationalised track layouts can anyone recomend content uploaders to YouTube of cab rides etc to help (I might as well enjoy the research), I’m guessing my searches may be missing the mark as I search in English.

Thank you

Keith

• Like 1

What you can and cannot do is dictated by the materials you are using.  If you are using Kato or Tomix, there isn't much variation on what you can achieve.  Changing lengths and number of platforms etc is doable, but building totally real life type structure is more of a scratch building exercise.

IF you are using Tomix/Kato/Greenmax station building structures.  Plenty of example on their websites or online.  If you are scratch building.  Plenty online also.  But you'll need to google translate before going into google searches or youtube.

• Like 1

For something "standard" you might look at older Greenmax station kits.  Probably the most standard of stations is a station like the cheap Tomix 4002 wooden station. Sandei and Greenmax have made similar stations in the past. Stations with an open passage to the platform are relics of the days of ticket punchers. Now you will find electronic ticket gates at the more active stations. To get something different you can go to paper kits.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Keith said:

Rather than stare at googlemaps which may have rationalised track layouts

FWIW Google Maps does have a fairly accurate rendering of track layouts, at least for the stations I'm familiar with.

OpenStreetMap is pretty good too, possibly better because in many cases it shows the platforms as well.

https://www.openstreetmap.org

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Keith said:

I had a look at googlemaps of the Onomichi to Hiroshima section of the San-yo line

A fine selection sir :grin.  I think stations along this route would be good examples for small stations (you could continue this line east to Himeji for more), you might use something like Niimi or Kurashiki for a station with more tracks, which you could just make shorter, and then maybe Tamano or Sakai-Minato if you want a physical terminus near water.

• Like 1