How to unwarped a body shell

katoftw

On 2/21/2019 at 5:23 PM, katoftw said:

Got my first train that runs in Hokkaido. (Technically)

1550733762145-800805854.thumb.jpg.0452f1e0919eeffa100032cff3679f4e.jpg

IMG_0338small.thumb.jpg.4940e8349e36721bd2ca4bab61895ec2.jpg

And the shell is badly warped (left side).  Falls down past the chassis easily.  Only took 5 years to find a new set.  And it cannot run. Grrr!

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, GDorsett said:

Does it have an interior? If not, could you put a support in to keep it from falling down?

One option yes , but it will still fail around, as the tabs in the glass hold it in place.  A little brace will stop it from falling towards the track, but attempt the lift the train, and then the shell will come away from the chassis also.

22 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Heat gun to bend it back in?

Not a favoured option due to the inherit risks involved, but probably the best unfortunately.

2 hours ago, katoftw said:

Not a favoured option due to the inherit risks involved, but probably the best unfortunately.

Warm water (a bit closer to hot than warm) bath might better than heat gun.

I would take out the glass and clamp two pieces of wood on either side gently so that the sides are presss back to parallel. Then heat gun gently on the inside, let cool, unclamp, see if it holds and if not repeat with a bit more heat. Start small and go up. I’ve also carefully pressure pressed out warps in shells like this. If it’s still loose once you get as much of the warp as you feel comfortable getting, tack the glass in with some glazing glue and tack in some little tabs on the inside of the shell to rest on parts of the interior to hold it up at the proper height. May still be little loose when you pick it up but it will ride properly. Good luck, never fun but it happens.

jeff

On 2/24/2019 at 8:29 AM, katoftw said:

And the shell is badly warped (left side).  Falls down past the chassis easily.  Only took 5 years to find a new set.  And it cannot run. Grrr!

Another option: use foam or something similar to 'fill' the inside of the car to rough the width of the chassis. Wrap the car body in a paper towel and then use some rubber bands to 'bend' it in. It'll take a few days some tightening along the way but it's worked for me. I'd be worried about the paint with a heat gun, the hot water is also a good idea (and can be used in combination with the rubber bands). 

I've done the same that nah00 is suggesting with a few car kits before, and can vouch for it working.  I usually make the spacer inside slightly narrower than the chassis so that it grips well once its installed.