liquid wire insulation or some other solution?

chadbag

While splicing in a new decoder in my Tomix EF210 I accidentally melted some of the insulation on a decoder wire with my heat gun.   I was careless and the hot air sream veered away from the heatshrink.

Are there any good "hacks" to insulate the mm or so of wire that lost its insulation outside the heatshrink so I can avoid shorts with the loco frame?  I thought of a glob of silicone but wanted to see if anyone had any other good ideas.

I use a product called "liquid electrical tape".  It works great and saves a lot of space compared to shrink tubing.  The stuff is godaweful to apply (it gets everywhere if you're not careful) but once dry it works very well.  I've saved a few locos with it and it makes all my installations look much more professional.

https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-07315001126-LTB-400-Electrical/dp/B000FPAN2K

• Thanks 1

Kiha is spot on, I’ve used the liquid tape stuff in the odd spots like this that it’s just too hard to tear out and fix or heat shrink just won’t work due to stiffness. Like he said it’s messy to work with and I remeber last time I used it a few years back I found something, maybe a metal pin (sorry not a Lear neural path on the memory), that it transferred better with. But it does the job well in these situations!

jeff

• Like 1

I also swear by liquid tape. But It does slow you down as you really need to just stop and wait for it to cure. Otherwise you end up with a mess at best and a short at worst. I had to learn this the hard way.

• Like 2

My bottle came today.  I was able to put a little dab on the 1mm or so of wire where I had burned away the wire insulation not covered by heatshrink.

Thanks

• Like 1