Recommend a nice forklift truck

Sheffie

I'm wondering whether there's a really nice forklift truck model out there, something suitable for lifting shipping containers off Koki wagons.

Do you have any that you like? Any that you think are a bit meh? Any that are nice, but too much money?

Share your opinions!

While personally I am not a huge fan of freight, I love the Kato Forklifts, which I felt, was a cheap and pretty nice model of a working forklift, although it could do with a little weathering... The logos are already printed and ready to use on the layout! 

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf

I have to agree with Sammy, the Kato FD115 are the perfect beast of burden for lugging around 12' containers and with a little extra work on painting the add on details they are fairly decent models, the FD300 Toplifter is a beast of a machine and I would only suggest using one of those if you are doing a busy yard that would be handling 20' and 30' containers.

So far, I’ve only ordered 12 and 20ft containers. Is it plausible for the standard Kato forklift to carry a 20ft container? It seems that the FD300 is a nice model, but I cannot find it for less than $83 at present, and that’s too much for a non powered model, for me. 

I noticed that Tomix is also selling forklift models very cheaply, but those also look really cheap. 

Edited by Sheffie
2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I noticed that Tomix is also selling forklift models very cheaply, but those also look really cheap. 

Those are very old models.

There is the Top Loading Container Lift Yellow  by Fujimoto.  That yellow attachment is for lifting containers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Loading-Container-Lift-Yellow-Fujimoto-1-150-N-scale/202617434131?hash=item2f2cf0b013:g:2XgAAOxyIAZRwx-k

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

I think I have the Fujimoto ones.  Not opened yet but got them on a super deal from Amazon.co.jp.  (I may have had to ship them to my SIL and retrieve them from her -- don't remember).   They look nice but I am not an expert on those things.

Alright. The fujimoto model looks too good to pass up at that price, so I’m ordering that. 

• Like 1

The Fujimoto models are over scale if you compare them to the Kato model, but extremely good value. I have several and am using them for my TT scale layout.They just need a packer to lift the cab up slightly for TT scale operator. Packer not fitted yet in the photos and neither are the nice detail parts

DSC_0425 (1280x853).jpg

2015-03-24 11.44.49.jpg

Edited by beakaboy
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, beakaboy said:

The Fujimoto models are over scale if you compare them to the Kato model, but extremely good value. I have several and am using them for my TT scale layout.They just need a packer to lift the cab up slightly for TT scale operator. Packer not fitted yet in the photos and neither are the nice detail parts

Is it because they are 1/150 and not 1/160?

Not sure if they are the same models, I’ve got them all but I’ve never compared them side by side. Fugimoto May be 1/144 since I believe they did some things at 1/144. They do need dull coat as they use colored plastic that looks very glossy and plastic.

jeff

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf
10 hours ago, chadbag said:

Is it because they are 1/150 and not 1/160?

Regular Japanese stock is 1/150 scale Shinkansens are 1/160.

With the Tomytec and Fujmoto Toploaders they are not the same type that would be used in freight yards, those large Toploaders are the types that would be used for handling marine 20' and 40' containers, you would see them being used at container ports lifting and stacking shipping containers up to four high.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Regular Japanese stock is 1/150 scale Shinkansens are 1/160.

But American stock is 1/160.  I was replying to beakaboy (I quoted him) and he posted his oversize comment with pics showing American stock,

3 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

With the Tomytec and Fujmoto Toploaders they are not the same type that would be used in freight yards, those large Toploaders are the types that would be used for handling marine 20' and 40' containers, you would see them being used at container ports lifting and stacking shipping containers up to four high.

I know nothing about actual container operations in Japan or elsewhere.   What about Japanese container yards that deal with 20, 30, and 40 ft containers?  WOuld they use such things to stack them?

Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

I know nothing about actual container operations in Japan or elsewhere.   What about Japanese container yards that deal with 20, 30, and 40 ft containers?  WOuld they use such things to stack them?

The most common types of Toplifter used in JRF yards are the FD280 and FD300, I will stand corrected in that I have found a photo of an FD420 in JRF livery at the Tokyo freight yard open day. I was surprised to see one of them as the FD280's and FD300's are pretty big vehicles and have more than enough reach for use in a typical JRF yard as they only stack containers two high, I can't understand why they would need something like the FD420 or FD430 but obviously they must have a use for them. 

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/esper-hk/e/f1a16dc3636e5d48f3f9a7ff835947e2

https://www.ku-ma.net/railroad/20130505/top-lifter.html

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 2

Oh well. It sounds like the 430 is overkill for my operation, which will involve 12, 20 and maybe 30 foot containers being transferred between Koki wagons and flatbed trucks. I don’t really have any space to stack containers. 

I can live with that, though 

Even the little bottom lifters can stack the 12’ 2 high and very common in small yards. They also can do pretty tight corridors, I remeber seeing videos of them doing work in very tight spaces (and of course you can always fudge it’s some if you are ok with some selective scene compression...)

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

I’ll show you what I have in mind, in a few weeks. Er... actually a few months. Unless there’s another container-carrying truck that’s available before July .

ETA I'm considering getting these trucks, since one of them carries containers (and would provide me with a 31ft container, which is an interesting addition to my collection).

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10525678

If I trusted the reservation process more, I'd probably wait until July and get the twin truck package...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10599235

... which looks a little nicer, but I'm not sure I understand the Hobby Search reservation process, I don't want to pay to ship just this one item, and I'm not sure how to get what I do want (which is a little time, after the release date, to put together a purchase containing reserved items and more).

Edited by Sheffie
On 3/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, Das Steinkopf said:

The most common types of Toplifter used in JRF yards are the FD280 and FD300, I will stand corrected in that I have found a photo of an FD420 in JRF livery at the Tokyo freight yard open day. I was surprised to see one of them as the FD280's and FD300's are pretty big vehicles and have more than enough reach for use in a typical JRF yard as they only stack containers two high, I can't understand why they would need something like the FD420 or FD430 but obviously they must have a use for them. 

Loading/unloading 40 foot containers maybe? It is in Tokyo so they'd like be moving through there. Or just a case of surplus equipment from a yard closure that was moved there because it has a greater capacity.