katoftw

Taiheiyo Coal Line will cease operations at the end of March

Yavianice

Funny railroad, since it does not seem to be connected to the mainline, but really only goes from the mine to the harbor. Seems to me as a perfect place to make a museum and/or with a small tourist train.

The railway is located here: 42.972016, 144.399377

Nick_Burman
7 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Funny railroad, since it does not seem to be connected to the mainline, but really only goes from the mine to the harbor. Seems to me as a perfect place to make a museum and/or with a small tourist train.

It used to have a mainline connection, but it was torn out ages ago.

Cheers NB

katoftw

With the line going past that lake and onto a shoreline area.  It could be quite picturesque if the whole area wasn't devoid of all trees.  If they planted pine, plums and cherry trees around the area.  They could have a nice little tourist attraction.  The infrastracture is already in place.  Just needs some trolleys and some simple platforms made.  And they are set.

Khaul
12 hours ago, Yavianice said:

We’ve quite a few of those mine to harbour railways here in Australia. I would not call them funny. There is nothing quaint about them.

katoftw

Disused sections with low usage always get closed down.  Soon the line won't run past Kushiro anyway.

Yavianice
8 hours ago, Khaul said:

We’ve quite a few of those mine to harbour railways here in Australia. I would not call them funny. There is nothing quaint about them.

Are there a lot in Japan too? Because that's the point, right?