How to signal a layout (Arakawaoki) - part 1

Andrew Nummelin

Andrew Nummelin

I’ve just started an N gauge  layout having had the idea in mind for a quarter of a century! Had the chance yesterday to return to the station that gave me the inspiration with the intention of taking more photos of details and in particular the OHLE and signals that I had not photographed in the past.

Unfortunately the goods sidings and loops are out of use so I wonder if the signalling has been changed.

Here’s the area giving me problems.

First photo - at first glance the starting signal indicates a junction ahead, but there isn’t one. So is the right side head a starting signal for the loop between the main lines? If not, how are departures from the loop signalled?

Second photo - no sign of any ground signals for movements over the various connections. How are such movements normally signalled?

0EE4E878-EA27-42B1-BC1A-23CB0029AFDB.jpeg

0CD1CD6B-5E42-41D4-A799-4C3B33C24063.jpeg

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Andrew Nummelin said:

First photo - at first glance the starting signal indicates a junction ahead, but there isn’t one. So is the right side head a starting signal for the loop between the main lines? If not, how are departures from the loop signalled?

0EE4E878-EA27-42B1-BC1A-23CB0029AFDB.jpeg

I don't know much about signalling, but given that the signal on the left is labelled "下本" ("down main") and the one on the right "中" ("middle") I'd assume the right-hand side one is for the central loop.

• Like 1

I would concur with mr squids conclusion regards 1st pic.

As for the second pic.  It is too zoomed in on the turnouts.  Any signalling would be cropped out of the photo.  Do you have one more panned out?

Edited by katoftw

The two lights in a black diamond with white edging are position lights.  Used for shunting.  I'll get to those later.

As a add on.  I have looked at pics for the station in question.  And the opposite south end of the station also has a similar set up for signals.  I assume the up and down lines are uni-directional, and the middle road is bi-directional.  The fact that the middle road does not have any junction or direct indicator/signal.  Again I'd assume that you can on go one direction through the turnouts, eg left to up road as per 1st pic.

I'd again presume that if the freight sidings were still in use, they would have position lights at the end of each freight road.  Or of it is just local working.  At least one position light to exit the whole freight area.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Andrew Nummelin

Many thanks for the very helpful replies. I do wish I had learned to read kanji!

(I didn’t include other photos as I couldn’t see any position lights.)