Across Japan in 10 days, Train edition ~Nov 18 to 27

to2leo

Leo - If you have the time in your schedule to see this post.....How is the trip going?

Glad to hear from you..... I just saw your post.

Streetcar ride in Japan was rough and jerks a lot.

I'm not surprised. Some places like Okayama look like they have rough track. These are not CLRVs or ALRVs with air suspension.  There is very little if any springing in traditional streetcars.  The vibrations of wheels pounding over a rail joint or squealing around curves are transferred through all the steel parts right up to the passenger.  As the propulsion motors are directly suspended from the axles, the motor and gear vibrations and noise are also transferred to the rider.  This design remained the quintessential Japanese streetcar from the 1940s through the 1970s without change.  But this is why some of us love those old cars!!!   :cheesy  :cool:

Which system(s) are you referring too?

Streetcar ride in Japan was rough and jerks a lot.

I'm not surprised. Some places like Okayama look like they have rough track. These are not CLRVs or ALRVs with air suspension.  There is very little if any springing in traditional streetcars.  The vibrations of wheels pounding over a rail joint or squealing around curves are transferred through all the steel parts right up to the passenger.  As the propulsion motors are directly suspended from the axles, the motor and gear vibrations and noise are also transferred to the rider.  This design remained the quintessential Japanese streetcar from the 1940s through the 1970s without change.  But this is why some of us love those old cars!!!   :cheesy  :cool:

Which system(s) are you referring too?

Okayama's track was a bit rough but not as bad as some of Hakodate's back in 1990. But then we were able to hire our own tram for the evening.

post-218-1356992350274_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569923503167_thumb.jpg

Sunrise Express was amazing, I got a single sleeping room all by myself with floor to ceiling windows.

You lucky #^#$^#$@#$%.

We want pictures.

Hi everybody!

I am back happy, fulfilled and jet-lagged!

I apologise for not participating but I was a little sick coming back and I had to prepared for my interview this morning.

I promise to post all my train photos, videos and yes the Kato Unitram set with the amazingly tiny tram.

Till then, have a great Friday!

Love the videos Leo! thanks for posting them!  I can't believe how clean the windows are, I could barely make out anything when travelling in Italy in September!.

Its really cool the way you were pacing the 700 while on the Super Odoriko, I'm so envious!! :):):):):)

G

Leo - Great video and photos thanks for posting them. I'm jealous it looked like you had a great time. The images you shot were crystal clear. How did you like the Sunrise Express, it looks like a very clean and comfortable train. (Some of the photos have made me hungry. :grin)

Hey Bernard,

It was the best overnight train that I ever rode.  Much better than the Euro/China/N. American counterpart.  The train also has great suspension.  I would highly recommend it!

Great photos and videos, what type of camera are you using. Some of them were making me hungry too, brings back memories of standing outside the shops on Miyajima watching the machines making the cakes. :grin

I take it japan lived up to your expectations.

Yeah, I love visiting Japan but not living or working in it.  The stress level is too high for my liking.  The food are great, they are always fresh and of high quality.  I really cannot wait to show you guys some more pics and videos.

Japan Trip Slideshow 2 (Hakata, Nagasaki, tram, Kamome and Udon noodles).

http://www.slide.com/r/ME8qccqbxj8kTUwI1Ts0qb2weujcMWVs?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

Japan Trip Slideshow 3 (Osaka, model railroad, Hobbista)

http://www.slide.com/r/AH-JPBxAYj8HcbcuXdALIMxdOQQD6Ifc?previous_view=lt_embedded_url

Japan Trip Slideshow 4 (Nara, Kyoto, deer and Nihonkai overnight train)

http://www.slide.com/r/OPW1lnbxtz-wcixl7n3Qx9dIMgTL4HwI?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

Japan Trip Slideshow 5 (Sapporo, meals, seafoods)

http://www.slide.com/r/8Le9G7BU5j_6w--ndrhUMseZfW_J21Dk?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original

Tsujiki Market Tuna auction

Canal City, Hakata Information Robot

Canal City, Hakata opening ceremony

いかんとぁいt, oops, I mean, I can't wait until the replacement for my new old dead computer comes in so I can see some of this better.