SL Yamaguchi, from and to Hiroshima.

ben_issacs

Folks, 

This is a look at train times for a journey on SL Yamaguchi, , from a base in Hiroshima.

The times for the SL Yama... are taken from 'Summary of 2019 Spring Seasonal Japanese trains'. other times from my July 2016 timetable, so could be out-of-date.

The aim is to get from Hiroshima out to the bridge shot at Chomonkyo, then on to Tsuwano by local train, return to Shin Yama.. by 'SL Yama..', then back to Hiroshima.

SL Yama.. departs Shin Yama..  at 1050, and arrives at Chomonkyo at 1203.

Leave Hiroshima at 0909 on Kodama, A. Shin Yama.. at 1006.

There, take all stns. DMU, D. 1015, A Yama.. 1038, change to second DMU, D. Yama.. 1045,  A. Chomonkyo 1116, walk to bridge and get shot (I hope)

Don't know what's at Chomon.., but the next DMU on to Tsuwano doesn't leave there until 1433, plenty of time to have a feed there.

This DMU gets to Tsuwano at 1518, SL Yama.. leaves there at 1545, a bit of time to look around the place.

If you are catching the SL back to Shin Yama.., you will arrive there at 1730.

Returning to Hiroshima, the first possible Shinkansen, avoiding Nozomis,  is a Kodama , leaving Shin Yama.. at 1823, Hiro.. A. 1920.

The break at Shin Yama could be another eating time.

But, check all these times by an up-to-date timetable!

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

It is better coming from Fukuoka as the trains arrive at Shin-Yamaguchi earlier.

But if you are chasing photos. Then staying at Shin-Yamaguchi or Tsuwano would be better. Missing out on the Tsuwano sightseeing woyld be a shame.

I was mucking around trying to fill in a good day trip:

https://modelrail.otenko.com/japantimetable/index.php?save=z1k6Dc1OSGgMYdgM#

The sunlight will be wrong in the morning, won't it? I checked out suncalc and it seems you'd want to try and be north-east of the bridge, on the dirt road?

Meanwhile, you can catch the southbound DMU back to Yamaguchi instead of hanging at Chomonkyo.

From there, lunch and bounce-back to Tsuwano for the return SL trip.

Folks, 

Was the bridge shot at Chomonkyo a 'down' train, i.e., towards Tsuwano?.

From the accompanying diagram, it appears that the photo was taken on the east side of the bridge, thus in morning sunlight.

An afternoon shot could probably be done from the other side, with an 'up' train, sun in the west

Basing at Shin Yamaguchi would cut out the travelling to and from Hiroshima.

And, maybe as another suggested, come up from Hakata , or another town in Kyushu.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Bill, 

You're spot on with the location, now that I look at all photos again. 

But your timetable might be pre march 16th. Everyone just needs to take note that everything changes soon. 

Actually... Good question.. Why are all revisions on the 16th of march? 

stevenh,

Yes, I mentioned that my DMU times were all from a couple of years ago, and so likely to be changed now.

This was mainly an exercise to show how such a trip could be done.

16th. Mar T.T. changes?

Yes, why that specific date?

Emperor's Birthday?

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

23 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Don't know what's at Chomon..,

Very little unless you want to go hiking. The station is minimal with a small visitors centre if I remember correctly. If you want to look around you'll want to take some refreshments with you  as I think there was only a couple of drink vending machines. I certainly recommend taking the next train in any direction unless you want to explore the mountains on foot.

15 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Was the bridge shot at Chomonkyo a 'down' train, i.e., towards Tsuwano?.

My photo was indeed the train bound for Tsuwano. The opposite side of the river is not accessible to get a photo from underneath. Hopefully my photo of the bridge will help get an idea of the location. You can see the main road bridge on the right under the railway bridge.

I would certainly look at Hakata as a base, there's definitely more there than Yamaguchi. Hiroshima would be fine as long as you're prepared to start out early.

IMG_6599 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Kamome.

Thanks for your comments on the tourist delights of Chomonkyo.

Going back to Yamaguchi, the first DMU from Chomon... after the passage of the steamer , which probably crosses the bridge at about 1205, is at 1245, plenty of time to get from the bridge back to the station.

This train gets you to Yamaguchi at 1316, time to have a feed there, then catch the down  DMU that leaves Yamaguchi at 1358, and is the same train that you would have caught at Chomonkyo if you'd have stayed there.

This allows you to have a proper feed at Yamaguchi, and cuts down the standing around doing nothing time. 

But all the above times are from my old T.T., so a check on the present day one would be necessary to make sure all this would work.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.