Arduinos in everything!

cteno4

I thought the $2 nano board was small and cool! This is insane what you could cram into even an n scale truck (his mind goes to the old project of animating lights on a dekotora).

the freakin chips are 30cents, the bloody interface pcb cost a lot more!

my hold back on Arduino has been C, I’m dyslexic and C is like pulling fingernails for me with stupid booboos I read right thru! I need to look at some of the new systems to create compiled C for arduinos and see how well it works, just need time...

jeff

Sheffie,

thanks, appreciate that. I’ve dome programming professionally as part of my work for the last 30 years in a number of systems, and a little C. It’s just been the most frustrating for me as I find with the dyslexia I can make and stare at stupid errors and not always see them and it gets tedious. At some point I need to give it one more college try to see if doing small arduino programs won’t be as frustrating! Im sure debuggers have also gotten better since my last attempts. For a lot of what I would want to do (mostly lighting and a little automation) I could probably create templates that could easily be modified for specific variables.

jef

13 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Wow, that's amazing. This little 6 pin chip looks like it would fit a six pin decoder socket. Does that mean what I think it means? Arduino decoders?

I definitely want to play with these little things. Though I doubt that I'll ever get around to learning a computer language. I'm happy to just use other people's code.

I just wanted everyone to know that I’m happy to help out with any programming issues. Even if you just wanted to send me some code so I can tell you where there’s a missing bit of punctuation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I did C once upon a time 🙂  You get spoiled with "modern" languages and tend to "forget" all your "low level" stuff.    I suspect I will have to eventually get around learning how to program for these things.   Closest I've come is installing the programming environment to recompile programs for Arduino based RC flight controllers but except for changing values, I did not do any of the programming.  Looking at it reminded me of my earlier years of hobby and university programming.

(in case anybody asks, I use Objective-C and Swift on a daily basis and have been using one or the other since 1996 for work and play [Obviously Swift is not that old])

Sheffie,

thanks that would be helpful wheni dip back into this! Punctuation is a killer along with reading one character for another (d and b, a and c). I learned to use word variables in other systems rather than character based ones as when I had several going at once in one expression single character variable always screwed me up, but word ones I processed better as long as I spelled correctly!

I have usually done what chad mentions when approaching a new system, take something done and start modifying it to get to know it rather than start from scratch. Not always wise not to learn all the basics first but knowing other system makes you end up trying to cheat and cut corners! A couple of old microprocessor controllers for slide show controllers I actually had to learn the language this way as no one had the manuals for them any more and defunct proprietary systems, so it was all evolve from existing programs and guess at things!  

jeff

ChibiNippon

Wow. And I thought the soic8 package attiny85 was small! I'm going to have to order myself a mess of these things to do lights on my z scale setup. Much better than $2/each for the 85s.

On the flip side, the form factor is going to make dead-bugging these things extremely difficult, and they look like a pain to flash >.<