Good and safe marking material for finding where chips touch etc

chadbag

What is a good and effective marking material I can put on my decoder board chips that will help mark the body shells on where I need to remove material, but won't cause any shorts or damage or problems to the decoder and is easy to remove?

Something I can smear on or put on that will leave residue behind on the body shell when I place it on, showing where they touch and the body shell needs to be sculpted.

@cteno4 I am looking at you as the fountain of knowledge for such things

I think I’m a dribble of babble here... 

so you want to carve out a pocket for a naked decoder chip on a board?

if that’s it I would then just measure your chips and board and make a mock-up with some scrap styrene bits and then you can use craft paint or stamp pad to make your marks. Then these can be used while you are whacking as guides w.o fear of getting crap in the decoder.

If you had fo Use the decoder I guess you could try wrapping it with that really thin streatch wrap and seeing if s little heat will heat shrink it up, then use it on a stamp pad or some acrylic paint. But i would not mess with the decoder itself too much, too easy to muck it up. 

jeff

I need to just shave a small amount or thin a small amount of the body shell away -- not carve out a whole pocket for it.  In my current case it "almost" fits as is.   I thought I saw somewhere someone do this with some substance that was electronics friendly.  May have been my imagination.

A small amount of acrylic paint dabbed on may work.

There are electrically insulating paints out there. Don’t know if dried acrylic is conductive, seems like it should, but you also have your pigment grsnnules that might be as well. Have a spare decoder chip you could paint one, let it dry and see if it works.

i think in 5 min you could make a dummy to test with though, and no harm.

jeff