Line closures

lesliegibson

I read some time ago that JR Hokkaido was considering closing quite a lot of lines unless the local authorities were prepared to fund them. One that stood out to me was the line from Nayoro  to Wakkanai. What developments are there with this?

It is quite difficult here in the UK to find this kind of info. Or should I say that it is difficult for me!.  

The future of the Soya Main Line is still undetermined.  JR Hokkaido is borrowing a train set from JR East to run a touristic train on the line this summer to attract more riders.  The line closure that will take effect with the spring timetable revision on March 16 is the Shin-Yubari to Yubari branch off the Sekisho Line, 16.1km.

• Like 1

Thank you bikkuri bahn. We are going to Japan in May but not Hokkaido this time. In 2016 we did ride the Soya mainline to Wakkanai. Hopefully it will keep going it's a beautiful run.

Any other info gratefully accepted.

Any ideas on good locations for seeing freight around the Kanto area? Will do Shin Kawasaki and Kuroiso. Bit disappointed with Negishi last time around.

I concur, the Soya line is very beautiful when you see Rishiri & Rebun in the distance. Hope to go back before they close it so I can visit these islands

Edited by Yavianice