What did you order or the post deliver? (Electrical, Lighting, DCC, etc)

chadbag

I figured that a lot of the stuff is not Japan specific and in any case, a bunch of LEDs or diodes or sockets or decoders is not as interesting as train sets or buildings, so for us tech geeks, I thought it might be OK to have our own picture thread of new stuff.

(Mods, pin this if OK, otherwise move as appropriate)

• Like 1

While I was away in St George with the family the last few days, the mailman delivered a bunch of female pin strips (I forget what these are called) -- I will use them in sets of two to create connectors for my DIY lighting so that I can disconnect the wagon shell with the lights from the body easily.  Still waiting for the male version, as well as all the rectifier bridges, caps, etc. for that project.

I also got my shipment of LaisDCC function decoders. These are just simple function decoders I will use for wagon internal lighting.  (I've since figured out that it is cheaper, as long as you buy in qty 20+, to buy the NGDCC function decoder but at the time I ordered these, these were the cheapest).   We'll see how they work out.

IMG_0651.jpg

More parts.  Some of my bridge rectifiers have come (which is good as I want to use one to create a "blue" wire in a conversion I am working on now).  Also some 470 µF catalytic caps for use in special cases (I have the smaller 100 mF and 220 mF tantalum SMD caps coming for generic DIY lighting).   The modeling toolkit @Kiha66 linked to on Amazon.  And a $2.99 on sale multi meter from banggood.com as a backup to my (similar cheapo) current one that has fallen off the table a few times and has a bunch of pieces of case missing.

IMG_0701.thumb.jpg.ce6de1d9b2cf7a0781f281c2c7f9bab2.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I hope you mean 470 uF  o_O

yeah that.  µF really  I was trying to type the option-m and missed the option

One of my capacitor orders came.  Some 100 µF tantalum capacitors.  I may have some resistors around...  Need to check.  (Also have some bulk resistors on their way).  S I can get in on the DIY lights.

IMG_0727.thumb.jpg.b84ae51c969bf646e72dee07e51f41d2.jpg

• Like 2

I the last couple days I got a set of 5 different colors of LEDs (0805 right angle) 100 each color, the mail pins to use to make connectors for DIY wiring, and some thin wire.  The thin wire is supposed to be blue, but it looks black (could be very dark midnight blue), though the pic on the website was obviously blue, so I am returning it and they are supposed to send a real blue one.  I also accidentally ordered some 220nF caps.  Almost everything else they had listed on the age to choose from were uF caps and my brain did not register these as nF caps.  

IMG_0736.thumb.jpg.8c269485ab845756c578e6dd463ce99e.jpg

• Like 1

More random components.  This time 0805 size SMD resisters in 1.2k and 1k sizes (3000 / 300 pieces respectively).  Also some more 25V 100uF caps.  And 200 each 0805 size LED in white and yellow -- this time not right angle but normal top lit.

IMG_0738.thumb.jpg.8023ed455a115be9701e433738cf79de.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Haha 1

Looks good!  Seems like you'll be set for 1.2k resistors for life.  Did you mean uF on the caps?

1 minute ago, Kiha66 said:

Looks good!  Seems like you'll be set for 1.2k resistors for life.  Did you mean uF on the caps?

Sometimes I mean to get fancy and I can type option-m for µF instead of using uF as an approximation, but sometimes I don't hit the option just right and it comes out mF, which I supposed would be quite large.  Thanks for catching it. I updated the post.

Darn, just wishful thinking on my part.  I wish we could find that capacity capacitors in such a small size!

Edited by Kiha66
  • Haha 1

With the prices on some of these (1000 resistors for some $3.20 or so delivered) why not overbuy common sizes 🙂   I'd rather get a few extra up front than need some and have to wait 3-4 weeks and hold up a project because I was saving $3 on an order.

• Like 1

Super caps! Unfortunately they tend to be lower voltages like 3.3v and 5.5v but they are the Uber change densities! Not cheap though!

jeff

Some more random components, the replacement wire in BLUE this time, and some magnified reading glasses for close in work.  (The glasses are from Banggood and I already had a +2.5 magnification pair -- these are 2x 3.0 and a 4.0,  Each pair is $1.99!)

The resistors are 2.2k.  The LEDs are right angle mount 1206 or thereabout and 0805.  And some zener diodes in SMD packages (5.1v).

IMG_0757.jpg

• Like 1

Some buss wire and some thinner rectifiers (MB6F).  These rectifiers are thinner (not as tall) but same footprint as the MB6S we have already been using.

IMG_0764.jpg

• Like 2
Just now, cteno4 said:

How tall are yours? Mine are 1.5mm.

I'll take a pic of both the MB6S and MB6F and measure them when I open it later this week.  On my Tomix EF210, I want to replace the MB6S with the MB6F since it is not as tall -- will be easier to get the shell on.  (Using one to create a "blue wire" for lights).

So a bunch of small quantity eBay purchases came today -- bought US sellers small quantities of a few different voltage regulators (including different packages), rectifiers, caps, resisters, LEDs etc. so I can do some experimentation for the DIY lights while I am figuring out and learning the KiCad circuit/pCB layout app.

IMG_0776.thumb.jpg.fcee98c71991a8a407b882c41a2f315a.jpg

• Like 1

Bonanza today.  More of my US sourced components for experimenting (various voltage regulators, caps, LEDs, etc), a bunch of the $1.99 reading glasses from Banggood (I don't need them for reading but for working with decoders, and anything I need to see well up close), and a shipment from NGDCC with a bunch of 2+2 bipolar function decoders, a bunch of plain old 2 fx function decoders, and a stationary decoder for triggering LEDs or other small things (just to try out).  And a few right angle LEDs.   I wanted to compare what he sells with the ones I've been buying and using.

IMG_0779.thumb.jpg.dab33041a4c547b19c6678910aa2c1a2.jpgIMG_0778.thumb.jpg.19634f2e6d4ab5201214551665b0949e.jpgIMG_0777.thumb.jpg.e5c735eae664431787b9298f182d2d86.jpg

On 3/5/2019 at 10:33 PM, cteno4 said:

How tall are yours? Mine are 1.5mm.

Here are the two MB6 variants of rectifiers I have.  The MB6F is on the lft, the MB6S on the right.  I believe the electrical specs are about the same 0.5A and 600V.

The MB6F body is 3/64" (about 1.2mm) about and the MB6S is 5/64" (hair under 2mm) about.  Does not include the legs if they happen to be below the body for some reason.  I have some other rectifiers in my stash or coming that may have different electrical specs (and still within our range of need).  When I find them again or get them I'll compare.  Hopefully the footprint is the same so you can use whatever.  Or we can easily make the pads work with a few close footprints.

The MB6S came off my Tomix EF210 DCC install and is being replaced by the MB6F since it will be easier to fit under the body shell.

IMG_0781.thumb.jpg.8191e758f918dcd6ed8321b26bec67a1.jpgIMG_0782.thumb.jpg.f7acfb258cf9caafb554cfb8c546132f.jpg

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1

Just ordered a ton of 0.6, 0.8,  1.0 and 1.5mm ID heatshrink in all the colors they had as it was 10 to 17 cents a meter delivred (vendor on ali express).  I already have plenty of 2 and 3mm black and red and various colors and sizes from previous HobbyKing shipments over the years.   You can never have enough heatshrink -- especially small diameters.  I got up to 10m of each size/color if they had it.    Also got 5m long segments of 28 AWG wire in various colors.   Rather have it on  hand (DCC decoder installs etc) when I need it then have to set aside a project until the more expensive amazon wire shows up.  This was like $1.22 per 5m.  All delivered, and I got some percent off on some duer to promotions and also $3 off in coupons.

Doh, I never thought to look at Ali express for heat shrink! I have scant 0.6mm so I’ll look! Heat shrink is sort of like pencils you know you have a bunch but then finding the size and color when working on a project it seems you don’t have what you thought you did! I am clipping all mine up slowly and organizing in boxes as tangles of 1-5m hunks is hard to find what you want and impossible to organize! 

Jeff

• Like 1

Yeah, I didn't think to look there until today.  Even after buying some cheap 10m lengths of larger diameter from Banggood recently.  

I've gotten various misc components (caps, resistors, etc. plus some breadboards and some non SMD components).  DId not take a photo of them and they have come over the last 2 weeks. They even included a small bundle of extra of larger sizes (and some smaller) that I did not order (nor did I get charged for).  See on the left.

But today I got the motherload of heat shrink in.  I think my kids will be inheriting this.  Hopefully it won't cause any arguments.

IMG_0994.jpg

Edited by chadbag