Rail Gallery Rokko

cteno4

@coppe I've been in touch with RG Rokko to request different shipping methods. Because my address only accepts SAL and ePacket. I think because of my purchase, they also accept SAL. But I wish they would also offer ePacket with tracking.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, coppe said:

Hi there,

I'm in Japan and one of the person concerned about RG-Rokko's (mainly for the web system for Int'l). I happened to find this forum and saw some needs of airmail, ePacket, SAL or something like that of cheaper shipping methods. These methods are cheaper though, they're worrying about the item's safety and condition under shipping. RG-Rokko's attitude for Japanese model train is so solid. As some purchasers wrote, their shipping-protection policy is sure and strict.

I can propose RG-Rokko to adopt some other way of cheaper shipping ways, but previously I would like to know... what do you think about their worrying about safety and conditions.

Thank you.

Changing to ePacket for example doesn't change the safety or item conditions. They should be packaging it the same. And ePacket has the same tracking as EMS. Just half the cost and twice as slow.

• Like 1

I’ve had hundreds of SAL small packer packages from japan to California and DC over 25+ years now and none have gotten lost. I’ve had a few boxes get crunched a bit but the usual high quality Japanese hobby shop boxes and packing has made it so none have gotten any contents damaged. I had one get pretty soaked and it got the Tomytec power mech packaging pretty damp, but did not get into the actual mechs so they all came thru fine. 

Ive had about the same percentage of crunched boxes going SAL, EMS or DHL (usually amazon), so I don’t see any safety difference in the handling of the packages with the different methods (DHL maybe a bit worse, but that could be amazon or because I have the fewest number of those and thus the worst stats). The only real safety difference is tracking and insurance. But I’ve never lost a package due to missing or damage so never needed that and now consider my self way, way self insured (like several thousand dollars worth) with SAL savings over the years (this take 5-10 packages to get to self insured status). Speed may be a small factor as maybe more potential of damage or loss waiting for space on a plane or sitting in customs which SAL has to do.

i, personally, would probably purchase some from Rokko if they offered at your own risk SAL or even registered SAL. One risk with SAL is there is no evidence the item was shipped so you need to trust the seller to have actually shipped the item.

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I've had EMS packages be pretty damaged as well. Same with DHL, and especially UPS. Fedex so far has been the only one where packages have never looked damaged whatsoever.

It's always pretty much just the outer box that's damaged though, never any of the items in them. Apart from a UPS package that had a big bootprint on it, right on top of the 'fragile' label ...

• Like 2

In my experience, EMS packages have tended to be more squashed than other parcel formats.  I've never had a problem with SAL, and ePacket is fine.  I prefer not to use UPS or DHL as my postal address is a PO Box, and couriers generally won't deliver to a PO Box.

• Like 1

Fun fact!

While Hobby Search is asking for 13005 yen for the "All Around The Kyushu" 4-car set,

Rail Gallery Rokko is only asking 12000 yen, for the 6-car set

• Like 1

Kinda unfair comparison.

2013 pricing at 20% off

vs

2019 pricing at 15% off

Always best practice to shop around before buying. Problem is there is always a new shop to find. Throw a spanner into the works.

I have a question. I ordered an available model on Monday and also paid with Paypal. Unfortunately, I have received no feedback from the shop until today whether the money has arrived or whether the package is ready for despatch. Also a demand by email and the registration on their shop I have not received until today. What experiences did you have with the shop?

• Like 1

My experiences with this shop are -excellent-. Very helpful. It takes them generally 1 business day to respond. The registration also worked without issue. I think I might buy almost everything from RG-Rokko from now on.

• Like 1

@coppe

Thank you very much for the information, yesterday in the evening i got a e-mail from DHL. I was not at home.... 😮 Saturday will be deliverd!

I am used to receiving notification of purchase and / or shipping. But with the fast delivery your email is almost superfluous! Many thanks for your help! Will not be the last purchase.

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 1

FYI you can purchase everything listed on their Japanese site. They have a very large inventory and sell pretty much anything model train related, not only from the big 4, but also from smaller japanese brands, european brands, and you can also ask if they can procure an item that's not listed on the website. Pre-orders are also possible, just say which model you want, and they can pre-order it. They also do customization of orders (combined base-expansion sets, installing interior light or close couplers etc.). When you found something you want to purchase just mail them and inquire about it.

Edited by Yavianice

Just noticed that Rokko’s EMS prices are a bit high at like $28 for 500g to na while hs at EMS cost (japan post rates) is about $17. The next steps up for Rokko shows 500g-1.2kg at $43 and 1.2-2kg at $56.

being many train boxes are at around 1.5kg that would put it at $56 to ship a set. Hs is around $37.

have folks had a set shipped and what price range weight range/price did it fall in?

wonder why they have such big steps on their EMS weights or do they use the japan post steps when actually charging shipping. But does seem higher than japan post rates so seems there may be a “handling fee”

jeff

Should have to look it up. But it seems to me they didn't really know which shipping methods there are available and what the costs are for each, since every time I have had a different shipping method. It didn't strike me as expensive since their item prices are better than anyone elses.

Yeah I hoped they had wrong numbers in there as the extra shipping could suck up the price savings.

i just tried a checkout for a single 7 car set and it shows $43 for EMS shipping, so like a $6 more than hs. Not horrible, I was worried it may knock it up to the $56 level. They may do their scale by the weight of the item minus packaging. This may make more sense in what’s going on and why fewer steps.

jeff

i paid 3700 yen for the 10 car kato koki set and a 2 car kato koki set shipped using EMS to oz.  Was 1000 yen more than HS/AA options.

As I posted earlier.  Their shippong rates are high, but are offset by their prices being 5-10% better than others.  So don't just buy one item.

Just ordered something with shipping with ePacket, and the price was according to the rates offered by Japan Post (i.e. without markup)