How do I open my DE10?

Welshbloke

My Kato DE10 whines a bit, which judging by similar noises from N scale locos means the worm drives on the bogies could do with a drop of oil on their bearings. Only snag is I can't see how to get the bodywork off or drop the bogies out! Anyone know how?

I have the Kato HO JRF DE10 and it’s a bit of a pig to remove the first time around. 

There are essentially 2 front lugs and 2 rear lugs on the main plastic body which clip to the corresponding clips on the metal chassis. You need to place something in each to release the clips. I use the little Kato screwdrivers as they don’t damage anything.

I find removing the cab section makes it a little easier so you can grip the body well. It’ll need a wiggle but the body will come off if you remove it straight up.

IMPORTANT

The footplate area remains attached to the chassis as you remove the main body shell . There is also a weight attached so it does feel heavier than other HO loco bodies. This threw me the first time as you think you’re pulling out innards along with the shell.

I’ll take some photos later if you’re still having difficulty.

Excellent, thanks. Do you need to unhook any of the handrails, particularly the tall one from cab to footplate on the right hand side (taking the long nose as the front)?

Edit, success! Still whirring a bit but at least I now know the bearings are properly lubricated. Had problems getting the shell to sit down properly as it's a very tight fit, removing the cab also means you can press down directly on the clips underneath it.

Edited by Welshbloke
See above!

Mine never made a lot of noise. Just sounds like a typical modern electric motour with a small amount of whirring. That said, I don't think I've done any lubrication so it may entirely silent when I do that.

It isn't growly, just whines a bit in a certain speed range (the one which looks best on a tabletop layout, annoyingly!) Having had locos from other manufacturers melt bearings before now I wanted to check whether there was any oil in there.

Planning to add a DD51 to the fleet in a while, want to build some of the Arii/Micro Ace coaches to go with it and buy a pair of Kato KoKis for the DE10's container train first though.