EMU power units - Greenmax & Kato

Andrew Nummelin

Andrew Nummelin

I'm after some power units but am having difficulty in identifying exactly what I need (I should have learnt to read Japanese!), I wonder if anyone could help with the following:

1. the appropriate Greenmax unit to power their series 103 kit (my daughter bought me the unpowered kit 1132S that I wish to complete).

2. a link to motor unit specifications or drawings - I wish to assess if one might be of suitable wheelbase for fitting an unusual Dutch model for which I have a resin body.

3. which Kato motor unit would be needed to power their 651 Super Hitachi unit (I have the 7 car powered set and the 4 car unpowered one and wish to motorise the latter)

I'm prepared to order on-line, but I'd prefer to buy from a proper shop during a trip to Tokyo next month.

Kato instruction booklets that come with there models have a parts list. It you dont have these? Then the kato website using the search feature to access the model info. Look for the red ASSY links to view the parts list.

The Kato shop would probably be your best bet for the 651 motor. It’s not had a release for a while so it’s unlikely to be in numerous places. You may also wish to get some light units for the cab ends on the 4 car set.

The Assy part list that came with my set (10-173) doesn’t list the any of the body or chassis parts like more recent models do so best to ask the Kato staff.

Andrew Nummelin
On 2/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, katoftw said:

Kato instruction booklets that come with there models have a parts list. It you dont have these? Then the kato website using the search feature to access the model info. Look for the red ASSY links to view the parts list.

At the third attempt I managed to get Google to translate enough of the booklet to find the information - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Andrew Nummelin
On 2/10/2019 at 1:09 PM, Kamome said:

The Kato shop would probably be your best bet for the 651 motor. It’s not had a release for a while so it’s unlikely to be in numerous places. You may also wish to get some light units for the cab ends on the 4 car set.

The Assy part list that came with my set (10-173) doesn’t list the any of the body or chassis parts like more recent models do so best to ask the Kato staff.

Thanks for the information: I'll try to get to the Kato shop - I guess you mean this one: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1066457-d2419622-Reviews-Hobby_Center_Kato_Tokyo-Shinjuku_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Yes indeed. It’s a nice shop with some lovely things on display on both floors. It’s not in the most obvious of locations but worth it when you find it.

Hopefully you’ll be able to find what you need. I managed to get a couple of sets that had been long sold out elsewhere. You will pay full listed price though.