Sign in to follow this  
sandiway

Updating my temporary Shinkansen layout

sandiway

I have a long temporary track (about 8-10 meters long) for running my 16 car N700A Shinkansen. It was just a simple loop.

A few months ago, I designed an end loop for the track, posted it here, but not implemented due to lack of track parts.

I had a business trip to Osaka last week.

So I went nuts and bought the bits of track I needed but also decided to elevate the entire loop.

This required an awful lot of embankments, bridge beams and piers (25mm).

I tried to buy all the Tomix 3228 embankments available in Den-Den town. (Seriously, each shop only stocks a few.)

https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/3228.html

P2090011s.jpg

loop 354-391.png

• Like 1

sandiway

Looks like I have enough embankments to go even longer than this. I also have two long (560mm) Tomix truss bridges. It's amazing what fits in a large suitcase.

P2090012s.jpg

IMG_1671s.jpg

Edited by sandiway
  • Like 3

sandiway

Endloops require about 1345mm of room each. 12 x 280mm embankments. 2 x 560mm truss bridges. 9 x 280mm bridge beam supported straights. Total shown: 9690mm long (just under 32ft).

P2090014s.jpg

P2090013s.jpg

• Like 2

sandiway

And why go to all this trouble? This is why... 16 car Shinkansen with room to run...

IMG_1675s.jpg

IMG_1674s.jpg

• Like 7

sandiway

IMG_1694.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

DanielMackay

Lovely to see a full run like this; even in N-scale, 16 cars are a monster. I hope to achieve something similar I model with Kato track and was not aware that Tomix had these embankment supports. Do you have a parts number for them? 

sandiway
21 minutes ago, DanielMackay said:

Lovely to see a full run like this; even in N-scale, 16 cars are a monster. I hope to achieve something similar I model with Kato track and was not aware that Tomix had these embankment supports. Do you have a parts number for them? 

See link in first post

sandiway

Temporary layout. It packs up well. Easily inside 10 mins. We had visitors Sunday and we needed the space for other activities. The S280s with the bridge beams stack nicely. I could add a few meters if I travel to Osaka again. Currently, around 10 meters total length. I have enough track to make it 11 meters. Maximum length if I use the main corridor in my house will be 18 meters. And I reckon that'll get me over the 1 minute mark (per loop) that I desire. Currently, at scale speed of 300 km/hr, it's less than 1 minute to go around once.

Setup, slowest part is actually putting the cars joined up properly with the bogies correctly on the tracks.

IMG_1751s.jpg

IMG_1752s.jpg

Edited by sandiway
  • Like 3

JR 500系

Wow it's quite a feat to run all 16-cars eh? The true spirit of Japanese shinkansens! (Love that Hibiki 17 by the way) ~

• Like 1

GCS

This is some food for thought, could do a long temporary around my apartment so I can finally run my 16 car 500 series without it looking like a snake chasing its tail!

chadbag

This is pretty cool.  My son put 15 of the 16 cars on my KATO N700A on our 8x4 outer loop and it does a partial piece of loop at each end plus the straight away.  (15 cars as I was messing around with the power systems and he did not put the power car on).     I need to make a long enough track to show off the 16 car run.

Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

Space Beaver
11 hours ago, sandiway said:

Temporary layout. It packs up well. Easily inside 10 mins.

Currently, around 10 meters total length. I have enough track to make it 11 meters. Maximum length if I use the main corridor in my house will be 18 meters. And I reckon that'll get me over the 1 minute mark (per loop) that I desire. Currently, at scale speed of 300 km/hr, it's less than 1 minute to go around once.

Yep, you can get very impressive storage space efficiency with temporary layouts. Just for fun I tried seeing how much straight Unitrack would fit in one ordinary rolling stock bookcase with the foam taken out. 

8.68 metres!

• Like 1

cteno4

One of our clubmembers was renting a house in the area a few years back and the lower level had a very long straight run of like15+m and then another 8m at a corner. We set up a really long loop like this on the floor to run trains at an annual club meeting. It was fun to see the Shinkansen really running on a long straight stretch! Once and a while we get shinkansens on the larger club ntrak setups at shows and it’s great to see them flying by on a long straightaway, but then they scream past a 75 car coal train moving at 40mph and the illusion is kind of flumixed...

jeff