Kato Tram & Unitram - Preorder

to2leo

I saw that this morning. The starter set got sold out instantly. Unfortunately the single unit Kato is selling at this point is the red one, which I wouldn't buy seperately since I'd get it with the starter set eventually. Hopefully the strong sales will mean Kato will keep to schedule in releasing the other colors and the track only set (along with restocking the starter) in good quantities.

Hobbyworld had all these for preorder, but usually once the preorder date passes they remove the listing until the item is released and they have it in stock. its odd, just like the layout of their website, but they had a great preorder price of 13320 yen.

still wondering what the shipping weight will be for the track set!

cheers

jeff

Hobbyworld had all these for preorder, but usually once the preorder date passes they remove the listing until the item is released and they have it in stock. its odd, just like the layout of their website, but they had a great preorder price of 13320 yen.

cheers

jeff

Hobbyworld also seems to hold back orders once payment is received and ships out of Nagoya guaranteeing slow shipment.  How many international flights are there out of Nagoya?

Yes this is the big draw back of hobbyworld (other than the funky web site structure), their shipping is slower. if you are in a hurry hobbyworld is not for you! especially if you do ems!

personally im rarely in a big hurry for items and can stand the wait as the extra 10-20% off on a lot of pre-order things and also reduced shipping costs doing SAL really mean i can get a lot more for my train $$!

cheers

jeff

I saw that photo earlier today when I was on Hobby Seach, it makes it nice and clear how much floor clearance vs. hidden mechanism there is. Certainly better then the TomyTec version (at twice the price!) especially with all the factory installed lighting, though the area at the doors is a bit of a let down (of course to make and manufacturer a mechanism that didn't have visible workings at the front or center doors would have at least doubled the price again).

I saw that photo earlier today when I was on Hobby Seach, it makes it nice and clear how much floor clearance vs. hidden mechanism there is. Certainly better then the TomyTec version (at twice the price!) especially with all the factory installed lighting, though the area at the doors is a bit of a let down (of course to make and manufacturer a mechanism that didn't have visible workings at the front or center doors would have at least doubled the price again).

Makes me wonder where I'm going to put a decoder though. ???:grin

I'm wondering how open the articulated space in the middle is. If it's got the same height clearance as the rest of the car, I think you could hide a Z scale decoder in there, and camouflage any wires by adding passengers. Alternatively you could put the decoder in an upright position in the center of the front or back, and place lots of passengers on either side to obscure it (packed car).

I'm wondering how open the articulated space in the middle is. If it's got the same height clearance as the rest of the car, I think you could hide a Z scale decoder in there, and camouflage any wires by adding passengers. Alternatively you could put the decoder in an upright position in the center of the front or back, and place lots of passengers on either side to obscure it (packed car).

I was thinking of a small decoder high up against the roof where it wouldn't be to noticeable at normal viewing angles and run the wires down in the centre of the car. Will have to wait and see what it's like when I pull one apart.

I'm wondering how open the articulated space in the middle is. If it's got the same height clearance as the rest of the car, I think you could hide a Z scale decoder in there, and camouflage any wires by adding passengers.

Put a decoder in there and the car may not be able to go around curves.

The Pro-Z Starter set by Tokyo Marui + 1x train + 1x trafo was around 6 Kg weight and I paid 10000 Yens for a SAL parcel from Japan to Spain. So, I belive it would be more or less the same this time.

cheers

jeff

Plaza Japan has it up for sale ($75 shipping by EMS, same cost as a standard Kato Starter Set)

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNITRAM-Starter-Set-with-PORTRAM-Tram-Red-Kato-40-900_W0QQitemZ120500362262QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item1c0e619c16

You'll want to look at this listing as plaza has lots of pictures of what you get in the box. One interesting thing is that the track itself comes inside a smaller box inside the big one - this is probably the same box as the upcoming track only set.

One of the JRM members just got his set and thinks the track box is not all that heavy. hopefully its under like 1600g and can come sal for $20 and not ems for $50! he has not yet put it together, but says it looks nice and sturdy. it comes with a backdrop that you can fold up around the center section of the loop if you dont have buildings to fill that space.

cheers

jeff

Mine is on the way from Hobby World, SAL to Australia 7300 Yen ($90AUD), about $375 altogether, probably still cheaper than what they will eventually be available for here. Unfortunately you have to pay for shipping all the empty space in that large box.

Concept Model Trains
Mine is on the way from Hobby World, SAL to Australia 7300 Yen ($90AUD), about $375 altogether, probably still cheaper than what they will eventually be available for here. Unfortunately you have to pay for shipping all the empty space in that large box.

I decided on Hobby World for my Unitram.  Like you I found the shipping cost to Australia was more then I expected.  I'm sure it will be worth it.

Thanks for that link, Jeff. Looking forward to receving my Unitram.

And one question, the only option to build a biggest track now (or this month) would be to buy the V50 set, wouldn't it?

Jeff - Thanks for providing us with the link. Does Curt have the actual dimensions in feet and inches for the layout (or mm)? Also there have been some questions as to where you could fit a decoder in the Portram, does Curt or you see where it is possible?

Ill ask curt for good dimensions on the layout.

dont think he has poked inside, not sure if he will do that right away, he is not a tearer aparter right away unless there is trouble. also not dcc right now so not that much interest to him and he has no experience with the needs, but ill drop him a note. i do think he will people his pretty quickly!

jeff

I got my starter set last Friday in Tokyo when it was released.  I will try to post some pictures tonight.

Looking forward to the pix to finally get to see this set. It's been a big story lately.