An unusual level crossing protection.

ben_issacs

Folks, 

On a long ago trip to Japan, I spotted an unusual level crossing protection device.

Instead of the common hinged boom, this had the boom arranged to go up and down between two vertical runners, a bit like a guillotine.

The boom was hauled up and down by cables in the runners.

Can't remember if it was just a boom, or something more substantial, like a light trussed girder.

It had the usual lights and signs.

Could be a simple model for a variation on the ordinary boom type.

Didn't rise all that high, so might have had trouble with an over-height road vehicle.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne..

You are describing the manually operated gates (by a gate keeper) that were in operation at some busy grade crossings.  One of the most famous, at Jingu Mae Station on the Meitetsu Main Line closed in 2012, I think few if any exist now.  Here is a short feature of one that was at Shimo-Takaido Station on the Keio Line:

• Thanks 1

Another fantastic video from 1986 (just prior to automation), in Oita, Kyushu, with many JNR rolling stock types...happy days...

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Thanks 1

I believe there is also a gate of similar arrangement at one of the rolling stock factories or maintenance depots in the Tokyo area.  Cant remember exactly where, but I've seen the video posted more than once here.

A quick look at street view it seems the lowering boom on the street side is missing now (August 2018). Just a couple of DO NOT ENTER boards that may be moved as appropriate.

Folks, 

In one of the level crossing videos, the sparks traversing the crossing have orange, white and blue stripes.

What JR Line is this?

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.