Mop Type Track Cleaning Car ?

chadbag

It looks interesting. I've never had luck with the Tomix cleaning car, though others swear by it. On my layout it catches on junctions a lot.

I have the little bugger and it works ok. I much prefer my old I think noch tanker with the pad under it to spread cleaning fluid (isopropanol). You need to keep wetting the pad and it snagged on some trackwork. Also harder to get replacement pads.

I much prefer the roller style track cleaners like the centerline

https://www.centerline-products.com/

these really clean. You can use strips of handiwipes on it and toss em as they get dirty. I use the tanker in front of it to keep laying down isopropanol.

ive used the Tomix cleaning car with decent success with isopropanol and the buffing wheel in addition to the centerline. I mainly use the Tomix for vacuuming.

Cheers

jeff

4 hours ago, cteno4 said:

I much prefer the roller style track cleaners like the centerline

https://www.centerline-products.com/

This is just a heavy roller which is otherwise loose in the car, correct? I find it a bit confusing which one would be appropriate for my layout. I am not familiar with american brand couplers. Which would be compatible with tomix, kato, or just plain rapido couplers?

Edited by Yavianice

Yes the roller is loose and you wrap a strip of thin cloth or paper towel over it (the woven handiwipes work best as they don’t disintegrate) and hold it in place with a rubber band. Nice things in the roll, don’t drag on the rail so don’t tend to catch on things. Since the wrapping is a little soft and lumpy it moves around the top and top sides of the rail heads. You can just rewet every so often with your cleaner or choice or use another cleaner spreader before it on a cleaning train.

they put Kadee/microtrain couplers on them for the us market. My older one had the rapidos in the box. You can just screw a set of your favorite trucks onto them if the cooler pocket does not take your coupler of choice. 

They aint cheap but very effective. One of our club members had a giant Unitrak layout in his basement and no drop ceiling so lots of schmutz rains down on it and he doesn’t run it often and it can get really mucky track. The roller cleaner really does a job on it. If especially bad he uses an orange oil cleaner that will lift the worse then isopropanol to do the final cleaning and drying.

i got mine on ebay cheaper by lurking for a deal.

jeff

Any idea why they make two different N scale models? There's a plain n-scale and a cheaper NMRA N scale version. The Non NMRA version looks a bit heavier, and maybe it holds a bigger roll. But could it be wider? interfere with platforms? 

Which one do you have?  Any opinions on the different versions?

The non NMRA one has a bigger and wider roller and heavier car to help it clean well. These are a clunky action so you need the weight. But it’s that clunky action that seems to rub around the rail heads well and clean well.

the non Nmra one is bigger than the old one I have (maybe 15 years old) with slightly different design but basicallly the same. Newer one looks like it may be a tad more beefie. My NNRA one is very light and I’ve not used it much as I’d did derail a few times. Meant to go back and add some weight to it as it’s pretty light weight, but never got back to it.

my non NMRA one works fine with unitrak and platforms as it’s about 22.5mm wide. May be tight with tonic track and platforms, never tired it with Tomix track.

cheers,

jeff

3D890F0F-1D81-4A9D-9324-CB2CDCED2D61.jpeg

5C44DE5D-638E-41F2-8D62-1F3410A5EC11.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was able to get the diamond shaped one, used, on eBay just now for $40.  When it comes w'll see how it works.   I also ordered the one I mentioned at the .0 from plazajapan.   Maybe run both together 🙂 woth a Tomix vacuuming up front.  🙂

@cteno4  So my diamond shape one Centerline I bought used on eBay came.  (With Rapido trucks -- yay!! -- did not come with the other trucks)

In reading about this, it seems they recommend using a rubber band or something to hold the cleaning cloth on.  You don't show that in your pic.  Do you find it necessary or not?

• Like 1
Just now, gavino200 said:

I also bought one of these suckers. I'd be interested in any tips, tricks, or pitfalls anyone (jeff?) might have.

Did you buy new or one off eBay?

Just now, gavino200 said:

New. Was yours second hand? 

Yeah, I found one on eBay.  Came with the rapido trucks and is in good condition.  Came with a bunch of the blue and white material unused.

IMG_0450.thumb.jpg.7f744b8fdb94136c892f71c4b8e46d6f.jpg

I assumed you got a new one, which made me feel a bit ripped off. I guess I paid a fair price for a new one. 

Mine came with knuckles in place and a spare set of rapidos, which I'm going to switch to. I love rapidos.

Yeah, mine was used but looks in excellent shape and most of the included wipe material is new.  Only one set of couplers.  It is the Model #1.  I will try it out eventually.  Maybe next week.  I need to finish wiring up everything with the new track and switches I put down.  Then I will be able to drive the trains over the whole thing.

Probably run a Tomix car with vacuum running first followed by this with some 90% isopropyl.

• Like 1

The wipe material is good old handiwipes. Cut up a pack into strips and you have a lifetime supply! 

Little can wear out on these guys except maybe the trucks with enough use but easily and cheaply replaced. That why I like them they are built like little tanks!

jeff

On the mop-type cleaner, how does the pad bend? Is the car weighted down or does it become flexible when wet? And how does it track when wetted?

12 minutes ago, GDorsett said:

On the mop-type cleaner, how does the pad bend? Is the car weighted down or does it become flexible when wet? And how does it track when wetted?

I’ll be trying it sometime in the next week or two and will report back.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alrighty!

I've considered picking one up to go along with the Tomix vacuum car to clean the rails.

Does the car have at least some decent weight to it when you pick it up or does it feel more or less like a WaMu?

If memory serves me right it’s ok on the weight but I think I put it away for later after trying it to add some more as I remeber it jumping at a few points. My old heki tank worked better at the task. I’ll try to locate mine and let you know. The Tomix also does a decent job in cleaner solution mode. Best to do the vacuum first before things get wetted. Also might want to think about a small permanent magent under the Tomix or other car. I did this once on a temp set up at home and I was surprised at how much metal fuzz it picked up. That was before I sealed up the rafters, but it was not good stuff to have around the engines. Tomix Vacuum can pickup a surprising amount of puzz, again not great for engines.

jeff

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the vacuum car does a good job of picking things up. My track just doesn't get out and used enough to get properly dirty. Just need something small to use.

Good old 70% isopropanol. Cheap, good cleaner, evaporates fast, low smell (Tomix cleaner smells a bit like urinal cakes...), and with this kind of application very very low risk of attacking paints and plastics.

jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1