Anyone using Tomix 1423 buffer?

Hayashi

Although I will use Unitrack, are there any upsides to using the Tomix 1423 buffer (yes, I know I need to use the Kato snap track conversion). I seems it could offer some relief from destroying couplers if a train comes in a little too fast. I'm worried about any yards that may have limited visibility at their ends and loco sheds with limited interior visibility. It also seems to be a decent way of shutting off power to the siding. I saw an archive by Sascha back in 2017, but nothing else so far.

The buffer also seems to resemble some of the hydraulic-style buffers that I think exist on some Japanese railways.

3 hours ago, Hayashi said:

The buffer also seems to resemble some of the hydraulic-style buffers that I think exist on some Japanese railways.

The Tomix blurb does indeed say that.

I have one of these as I was originally planning a Shinkansen terminus, thought didn't realize it has an isolating function until fairly recently (not quite sure how that works mind you). Nice to have if you want them but a bit gimmicky.

Personally I wouldn't be worried about coupling damage due to collision with buffers, I have yet to experience couplings coming off through anything other than (my) clumsy handling. YMMV of course.

The Shinkansen terminus stations I've been to (Kagoshima, Tokyo, Kagoshima, Daisen, and I believe Yamagata also) have standard, very small and unremarkable poles similar to the wooden ones from KATO. Before that the track sort of disappears in the gravel.

Edited by Yavianice