Jump to content
cteno4

New Classified Guidelines

Recommended Posts

cteno4

The JNS staff has been working on revising our classified forums guidelines for some time now and have finalized them. The aim of this is to standardize and simplify the posting of topics for items for sale, trade or wanted so that all are presented in a consistent and clear manner and reduce the chances of any misunderstanding or misuse of the classified forums. The classifieds are meant to be a place for members to do some quick sales with each other of extra or non wanted model train and related stuff hanging around.

 

These guidelines will go into effect on February 8th, 2019, so if you have an existing topic for sale or want listing please make sure it complies with the new guidelines. If your topic was posted over a month ago please create a new topic for the listing as listings will only last for 2 months from their creation after the new guidelines go into effect. Please pm cteno4 with any questions.

 

Rules

  1. The Classifieds forum is open only to Members with at least 3 months of membership and a post count of at least 50 posts. You can use this area to sell, trade or find a railway-related item you are looking for.
  2. Give topic titles an appropriate FOR SALE, TRADE or WANTED heading. Then make sure the rest of the title describes the item clearly. After finishing a transaction, change the heading into SOLD or FOUND. 
  3. Keep to only one or a couple of related items per topic.
  4. All classifieds must have a description of the item, condition, price, payment options and shipping restrictions. For sale classifieds have to include a clear photo of the item. Classifieds not meeting these requirements will be deleted.
  5. Changes to the description should be made to the original post. Communicating changes through Messages or by bumping the topic with new posts is not allowed.
  6. It is not allowed to use Messages for marketing purposes. Messages should be kept to answering questions from buyers and finalising deals.
  7. SOLD or FOUND classifieds will be locked by a staff member. Classifieds older than 60 days will be hidden from public. You may relist the item if it is not yet sold or found.
  8. Links to items sold on eBay or any other external venue, dealer listings and commercial postings are not allowed.
  9. Disclaimer: Using the Classifieds forum comes at your own risk. The item condition, payment and shipment is your responsibility. We at JNS Forum absolve ourselves in advance of any responsibility for any transactions made here.

 

Thanks,

 

JNS Staff

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice

Where are the guidelines? I take it you will post these in the classifieds section as a sticky?

Share this post


Link to post
Suica

Would it be possible to make shipping restrictions (should they exist) clear right away? Like mentioning them right in the title as well?

I think quick understanding of the conditions kind of belong to it being a "quick sale". Finding those "EU only, UK only, US only..." remarks somewhere inbetween the sales text has always been sort of annoying. Could've quickly saved me the time from even bothering to open those sales topics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw

A bit of over policing again isnt it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4
4 hours ago, Suica said:

Would it be possible to make shipping restrictions (should they exist) clear right away? Like mentioning them right in the title as well?

I think quick understanding of the conditions kind of belong to it being a "quick sale". Finding those "EU only, UK only, US only..." remarks somewhere inbetween the sales text has always been sort of annoying. Could've quickly saved me the time from even bothering to open those sales topics.

 

if there is a something like a restriction its fine to add it to the title if its not uber long. 

 

The topic title cant handle the all the details of the item most likely and we dont have that many listings usually to go thru new ones for the details. The intentions of these guidelines are to make sure listings have all the details there in a consistent way to determine if you want to move forward and contact the seller.

 

cheers

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4
5 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Where are the guidelines? I take it you will post these in the classifieds section as a sticky?

 

they are at the top of the classified forum screens. cant miss em.

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
JR 500系

We are an online forum community for like-minded train hobbist to be able to come together, discuss and share ideas on what to do with their layouts etc. This has been a great place for me since I've entered the hobby not so long ago (around 5 years perhaps? ) and I've certainly gained so much knowledge from it, all thanks to all the nice and knowledgeable people here who made it happen! 

 

Having said that, the new guidelines were to help ensure the forum stays this way. We have seen members that were coming in just for the classifieds and posting straight away on the selling threads, sometimes without even a 'Hello i'm new nice to meet you' post, which has made us wonder upon the true intention of joining the forums... The classifieds were a great venue for us to find and let go models that are otherwise difficult to find, and because we all have the same interests, this has helped to make finding certain models a little easier. True to the hobby, one might begin collecting trains more and find running out of space to run certain trains an ever-growing problem, which the classifieds have helped elevate the problem a little by providing a venue without huge selling/ listing fees for us to be able to let go some of our sets to others who might be looking for them. 

 

However, we wouldn't want the classifieds to turn into a place whereby real retailers and sellers take advantage of this and avoiding the hefty selling/ listing costs they might otherwise occur in the usual selling hunts, like ebay for etc. These guidelines help the forums to stay the way we all love, a nice venue to discuss and a friendly place to meet more like-minded hobby train fans from around the world...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Pauljag900
16 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

We are an online forum community for like-minded train hobbist to be able to come together, discuss and share ideas on what to do with their layouts etc. This has been a great place for me since I've entered the hobby not so long ago (around 5 years perhaps? ) and I've certainly gained so much knowledge from it, all thanks to all the nice and knowledgeable people here who made it happen! 

 

Having said that, the new guidelines were to help ensure the forum stays this way. We have seen members that were coming in just for the classifieds and posting straight away on the selling threads, sometimes without even a 'Hello i'm new nice to meet you' post, which has made us wonder upon the true intention of joining the forums... The classifieds were a great venue for us to find and let go models that are otherwise difficult to find, and because we all have the same interests, this has helped to make finding certain models a little easier. True to the hobby, one might begin collecting trains more and find running out of space to run certain trains an ever-growing problem, which the classifieds have helped elevate the problem a little by providing a venue without huge selling/ listing fees for us to be able to let go some of our sets to others who might be looking for them. 

 

However, we wouldn't want the classifieds to turn into a place whereby real retailers and sellers take advantage of this and avoiding the hefty selling/ listing costs they might otherwise occur in the usual selling hunts, like ebay for etc. These guidelines help the forums to stay the way we all love, a nice venue to discuss and a friendly place to meet more like-minded hobby train fans from around the world...

And so say all of us Sammy,well said buddy👍😀

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice

What about putting a template in the sticky post? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

We decided not to go so far as a template for the posts unless it’s needed later. Basically right now we just wanted each sale to be on their own topics so folks could easily see which Post had what in it from the title and if sold or not, then each sale have the same basic set of information with:

 

- Description (ie item number, name, condition, any added or missing bits)

- Price (clear on what the price is so folks can decide to move forward with communicating with the seller)

- Photo (this helps folks see what they are getting and helps prevent mistakes, even ebay requires a photo of an item for a listing)

- Shipping Restrictions and Options (ie EU or US only, DHL only, etc. Shipping cost does not need to be stated if there are too many variables)

- Payment Options and Restrictions (ie paypal or other service, who pays any costs, etc)

 

if you want a template the above is basically it.

 

jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

You must include the following information clearly in your classified listings:

 

- Description (ie item number, name, condition, any added or missing bits)

- Price (clear on what the price and currency are)

- Photo (this helps folks see what they are getting and helps prevent mistakes, even ebay requires a photo of an item for a listing)

- Shipping Restrictions and Options (ie EU or US only, DHL only, etc. Shipping cost does not need to be stated if there are too many variables)

- Payment Options and Restrictions (ie paypal or other service, who pays any costs, etc)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Melandir
On 1/25/2019 at 9:51 PM, cteno4 said:

The JNS staff has been working on revising our classified forums guidelines for some time now and have finalized them. The aim of this is to standardize and simplify the posting of topics for items for sale, trade or wanted so that all are presented in a consistent and clear manner and reduce the chances of any misunderstanding or misuse of the classified forums. The classifieds are meant to be a place for members to do some quick sales with each other of extra or non wanted model train and related stuff hanging around.

 

These guidelines will go into effect on February 8th, 2019, so if you have an existing topic for sale or want listing please make sure it complies with the new guidelines. If your topic was posted over a month ago please create a new topic for the listing as listings will only last for 2 months from their creation after the new guidelines go into effect. Please pm cteno4 with any questions.

 

Thanks,

 

JNS Staff

 

I agree with this new guidelines Jeff, they looks good

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ochanomizu

Hello Mr cteno4,

 

I appreciate the tightening of the rules for this section, but is it possible to expand on the required information above?  There are three things I always want to know:

  1. Currency to be paid;
  2. Condition of the item.  Perhaps: New, Display Item, Occasional Use, Regular Use, Modified (DCC fitted), etc;
  3. Where the item is located, or being shipped from.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw

Condition was mentioned as part of the description.  But yes currency type and item location always help.  Many countries trade in dollars, not just the US.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
JR 500系

I think the smaller details such as currency type or item location could possibly be answered in depth through the Private Message system to the seller. The information to include as Jeff posted serves as a general guideline so we all know what important information is to be present in sales listing so it is much clearer for all to view ~  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
chadbag

The guidelines include "Price"

 

I would think that "Price" would include the currency as an integral part of the price.  So it should be listed with the price.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw
9 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

I think the smaller details such as currency type or item location could possibly be answered in depth through the Private Message system to the seller. The information to include as Jeff posted serves as a general guideline so we all know what important information is to be present in sales listing so it is much clearer for all to view ~  🙂

Currency is no small detail. It effects the final price. And price is one of, if not the main factor/s in any transaction.

 

I see the OP has updated the first post to include currency. So this line of conversation is now redundant.

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

I just included it in the example, we are currently reviewing it to see if we change the main guidelines.

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

We have upped the time limit of the classifieds from 60 to 90 days. After 90 days you are welcome to realist with a new listing. The time limit is because some of the classifieds got forgotten about by listers over time.

 

we have also put up a pinned post with a listing examples and further explanations.

 

cheers

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×