Feedback controller compatibility?

Beaver

Just a quick question.

I was wondering if any forum members had experience of using Japanese N stock with DC feedback controllers?

I have always been very pleased with how these controllers greatly improve the running quality of OO models, especially at low speeds, but have generally been told they should not be used with N equipment as the smaller motors are easily heated and damaged by them.

I don't have a feedback controller to test with at the moment as they do not seem to be used in Japan. However if it is safe to I would like to use one as it is the best solution I know of for reliabile slow running and shunting.

Many Japanese controllers (i.e. the Tomix ones and the newer Kato Powerpacks (Hyper DX, Standard SX and Smart Controller)) use PWM which already greatly improves low speed running, however I'm not sure if they have a feedback feature/use the Back EMF to keep the speed constant. The only example I've read of so far is the Kato Soundbox which makes use of Back EMF both for constant speed and to adjust the sound to the locomotive speed.