Tomix EF60 shorting out

Ultratram

I read that recent ED61 thread, wondering if my issue is similar. 

So I have a tomix EF60 that will intermittently short. On my tomix du-101-cl controller it will run for a second but will instantly short when I reset. On my kato sound box it will run a little longer before causing a short and shutdown. With a kato standard S it doesn't seem to trigger a short at all.

I have done a full disassembly and clean. It ran for a while before the problem started again.

I notice when it runs in a particular direction the tail light is flickering. Should be off. Is one light board getting stray voltage?

Well I think it's the motor. After it kept shorting without light board. I started doing continuity checks with multimeter as I took it apart. I was reading 8 ohms between the body halves until I took the motor out. Not sure what the fix will be or what part of the motor is causing the short ???

Edit I suppose there would have to be continuity between body halves due to the motor. So now I am contemplating the problem may be track or power pack related. I will test with other engines.

Edited by Ultratram
New info

So....

Wondering if anyone has had trouble with the tomix cleaning car. Because now my DE10 is starting to trip my controller. Wondering if I put too much strain on the motor. No other train has problems. Just the ones I used to pull the cleaning car.

So I just started using my Tomix Cleaning Car tonight.  Mine has a DCC decoder in it and I pulled it around the track with a Hobbytrain DB BR110 (german) locomotive, as that is what I have been testing my layout with and I had it programmed into the throttle.  I have no inclines and the locomotive had no trouble pulling 5 freight cars (2 Fleischmann, 2 KATO Japanese, and 1 Popondetta TaKi as well as the cleaning car.  I'll keep a watch out to see if the use and pulling of the Tomix cleaning car causes any issues with any of the locomotives.

I run mine together with a LUX Modelbau cleaning car (the more the better!) behind one of the older Tomix or Kato locos I keep around for purposes like this, testing newly laid track etc.; never had any issues.

Is it possible the cleaning car itself is tripping the controller?

Edited by railsquid
On 1/21/2019 at 3:15 PM, Ultratram said:

Well I think it's the motor. After it kept shorting without light board. I started doing continuity checks with multimeter as I took it apart. I was reading 8 ohms between the body halves until I took the motor out. Not sure what the fix will be or what part of the motor is causing the short ???

Edit I suppose there would have to be continuity between body halves due to the motor. So now I am contemplating the problem may be track or power pack related. I will test with other engines.

I have had issues with older model locos where the loco would not run at all.eventually discovered that the contact strips that touch each half of split frame chassis were a loose fit on brush pin?  that goes into motor to hold brushes. seemed to work alright when the motor assy was tested outside of chassis. I bent the contact strips for more tension on wall of chassis and seems to work ok.If it plays up again i will take out brushes and springs and solder contact strip to brush holder. Have also one  issue with a chassis where the brush holder was shorting on the frame intermitently . used Kapton tape to cover the chassis and that fixed the problem. hope this may be of help 

• Thanks 1

Minor update: The tomix motors are relatively low cost. I ordered new tomix 0626 and 0624 motors. I will give the results after I get them and install them.

But if that's the case it sounds like I will need an alternative method for cleaning tracks. Q-tips and alchohol is too tedious.

Finger and a soft cotton cloth with isopropanol really works well. Gets two tracks at once and top as well as inside of rail head. Let’s you feel when you snag or go gently over points. Rubber banding the cloth on the end of a stick will work to get into the harder to reach places.

Rolling wheel car cleaners also work if track is not too mucked up.

jeff

The 2 new motors arrived and got my ef60 smd de10 running again. I am still puzzled why my tomix cleaning car caused them to fail? Oh well, just glad my only desiel and electric locos are running again.

• Like 1