The Brockenbahn rescued from the snow

gavino200

This is a narrow gauge train that runs through the Harz mountain range in central/eastern Germany. I had a chance to ride it last April with my family. It's really a lot of fun. I came across this footage in my YouTube feed today. Quite an impressive snowfall. The videos are in German you you can easily get the gist.

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Crazy!  Hope it was just a locomotive and no passengers got stuck.  I would think the heat from the steam would keep the loco from freezing but it must have been shut down. 

9 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Crazy!  Hope it was just a locomotive and no passengers got stuck.  I would think the heat from the steam would keep the loco from freezing but it must have been shut down. 

No passengers stuck.There was no mention of exactly how the train got stuck/was abandoned. In the second video the workers are all chipper and the tone of the video isn't somber at all. While not overtly stated (I think) it seems there were no casualties involved. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The train was on the way up the Brocken when it got stuck just a few kilometers before reaching the peak. Half of the train could be uncoupled and carried back down with the roughly 50 passengers. The loco and the remaining coaches were completely stuck.

The Brocken is known for its weather extremes. It can change within minutes. I experienced this myself last September. It looked like a fairly normal, kinda warm late summer day on the way up. As soon as we arrived though, clouds, heavy rain and strong wind rolled in. On the way back down we got stuck along with two other trains since several trees fell onto the tracks. Took crews about an hour to remove them. 

Edited by Suica
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2