Needle probes

cteno4

No this is not a Roswell alien posting!

needle probes are nice little needle probe tips you can slide over your regular multimeter probe tips to get at small circuit points or even poke thru wire insulation to check wires in the middle for connivence. Cheap and connvienent to have in your electronics box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Insulation-Piercing-Needle-Non-destructive-Test-Probes-Tool-Red-Black/173708503029?epid=581908256&hash=item2871d567f5:g:zN4AAOSw2fRcIzce

cheera

jeff

152BE6A4-2D3F-4B23-A119-F7D78EA4589E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great.  Thanks for pointing these out.  I could have used them yesterday when I was repairing a laptop where a surface mount connector for a power cable to a fan had come loose...

FOr the price wanted this is a no brainer.  Especially with my 77 cents in eBay bucks I needed to use this month.

Those are cool.

Way back when, no one made tiny sharp probes.  I made my own by soldering wires to #7 sewing needles and then covering them with shrink tubing.  I've been using them for over 30 years.

NeedleProbes.jpg.7d2afa4c05b4c18aa9460207841309b0.jpg

At some later date I also made a set of 4 wire probes for making accurate "Kelvin" measurements of low resistance things.

KelvinProbe1.jpg.1f08609e3d976aace94de31a2b38972b.jpg

KelvinProbe2.jpg.2863144248dee576b660e7c8b15ca4e5.jpg

Great leads! LOL I had a pair like that I made the same way when a kid! An ee friend of my parents had taught me how to use a multimeter and gave me a klunky old one with Just a set of plain probes. His was a really nice fluke I think but had that cool mission impossible zip up case with like 15 different tips and leads! So I went and replicated most of them like the needles and such out of what I could dig up in my dad’s shop to be cool! I’ve lost the needle ones and finally ditched the tweezer set I had taped up for a $2 ebay smd tweezer probe, but now I want to put better tips on them. I’ve also used the little spring loaded ic tester tips which are nice as it’s easier to apply a little pressure and not move stuff. I recently got some sockets for these so they can easily be changed out. I’ll start a thread on those tonight. I have a bunch extra so if folks in the us want a pair of the spring loaded tips I can pop them in an envelope.

jeff

So my eBay needle probes that I paid a net 38 cents on shipped (since I had 77 cents in eBay bucks), conveniently charged to my CC :), showed up a day or two ago by mail from China.  Pretty quick.

They'll be useful.

Trying to find an inexpensive resistance solderer now...

Oh man steal! Yes lurk for the low auctions and you don’t have to pay the 99cents. That is quick, best ones I get now are 10 days, but most now are 4-6 weeks, some up to 10 weeks. I think some get lost in the system as they are light packages and can easily get caught and lost in a bin. Some actually trans ship thru all sorts of countries like kazakhstan, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc from China to the us. Seems odd but maybe some postal advantage.

jeff

Speaking of shipping from China:  I ordered (two different times this past Fall, once to replace the first lost one) a styrofoam head like you store a wig on.  My daughter has some Cosplay wigs she wanted to store on a foam head.   Neither of the two every showed up.  They were on Amazon and promptly refunded me so no long term harm done, except I still need to find a cheap foam head or two.

I've had a few orders form China recently and all came in pretty fast.  But then you get the ones that take for ever or never show up.    Hoping my DCC decoders that Gavin showed us from Aliexpress make it and show up quickly

10 hours ago, katoftw said:

Styrofoam ball from a craft shop. Add stick. Done.

I am not sure if that is cheaper than just buying a cheap head.   A local store called "Savers" seems to have had them for about $3.50 when we checked last autumn, and the ones on Amazon were only $3 and $2.   Most craft stores will want at least $3.50 for a nice stick and ball.  Good thought though, and one I will look into, in case I cannot find any more $3.50 heads.