Seibu's 'Laview' express

It passed by on yesterday's evening news. My wife thought it's a nice philosophy to have the train reflect the scenery, but I don't see how that would benefit those on the train, as well as a safety aspect (not to mention the intense reflection of the sun!).

As for the design, I think this can go in the ugly trains thread for me.

• Like 2

Ah yes, finally something new for the ugly trains thread. :P

I actually saw people mocking this abomination even worse than the new Yamanote EMUs on twitter yesterday.

Here are some of my favs.

post-3895-0-41132900-1458093272_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-78694000-1458093291_thumb.jpgpost-3895-0-56637900-1458093313_thumb.jpg

Good to see that the N-gauge model is already out. :P

Edited by Suica
  • Like 6
trainsforever8

I had so much trouble understanding this. At first, I thought that this drawing only represented the shape of the train without the livery being chosen yet or something. That doesn't look nice (I'll wait to see it in real life though), however, this will be very hard to keep clean and it's kind of unsafe, no? And where are the headlights?

• Like 1

It's a bold design.  They certainly aren't preoccupied with crossing collisions or people falling between cars like JR West.

Ah, er, I don't know. It's a little bit too strange of a design. Now, with the proper striping in the same yellow color used by other Seibu trains, it may not look that bad.

I was going to refrain from posting something like this, but hey, this was my first actual thought when this news popped up (no pun intended).

I wonder what it will look like when one of these enters a tunnel...

It's a bold design.  They certainly aren't preoccupied with crossing collisions or people falling between cars like JR West.

They run as fixed 7-car sets, so no cab-cab gaps in the middle of a rake. I imagine the extra-deep windows would give an excellent view of the results of any crossing accidents, especially if in the leading car.

• Like 3
bikkuri bahn

Note the disclaimer by Seibu: "this is just a design image under consideration, not the actual (final) design..."

http://www.seibu-group.co.jp/railways/news/news-release/2015/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2016/03/14/20160314shingatatokkyu.pdf

*I'm sure Hitachi will knock some sense into the design to make it a bit more "railroady" and less WTF.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

Note the disclaimer by Seibu: "this is just a design image under consideration, not the actual (final) design..."

I hope the design means the shape of the train and not the livery only.

bikkuri bahn

Look at some of Hitachi's ltd. express designs- the class 885 for JR Kyushu, and the class 800 for the IEP, if there is any bloodline relationship, it should be a decent, and quite possibly pleasing design, in the end.

If you look at the shape of the body between the cars, then it's clear that this is just a regular shaped (flat sides that narrow down at platform height) stainless steel train with a round nose. Imho the headlights could go under the windshield as it looks like there is a darker panel there.

Ah, er, I don't know. It's a little bit too strange of a design. Now, with the proper striping in the same yellow color used by other Seibu trains, it may not look that bad.

No possible livery would sufficiently help this monstrosity.

No possible livery would sufficiently help this monstrosity.

Good question.  I wonder if public reaction to it will influence whether or not a model is made at all.  These private railway types are often made by the smaller model manufacturers aren't they?

Maihama, I moved your post to the already existing topic on this train. ;)

And it preserves chronological order!  Cool :)

Both Kato and Tomix have made models of the original Red Arrow, IIRC the current version is made by MicroAce only. Kato have a slight affinity for Seibu as theit HQ is in Seibu "territory".