Rural Freight Platform Set - Kato 23-221

Sheffie

(Apologies if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find a thread on it)

I'm considering buying this rather nice little station:

http://www.newhallstation.com/estore/product_info.php?products_id=194

(I'm posting a link to the new hall station site, not because I plan on buying from them (the prices!!!) but because they are very good at illustrating the products they sell)

So now that we all know what we're talking about... does anyone have one of these?

If so, do you know...

1. If I wanted to have the track leading out of the platform to the left rather than the right... can the parts be switched around?
  2. How long a train can you put at the platform?
  3. If I run a standard spaced double track into this platform, can I have one line stopping and the other running through, or will the end of the platform get in the way?
  4. How well painted is it? Or, how bad will it look if I don't paint anything?
  5. Anything else you can tell me that might be helpful?
Edited by Sheffie
reformat

I have this set, really enjoy it.

1) If I wanted to have the track leading out of the platform to the left rather than the right... can the parts be switched around?

Yep!  Kato includes parts for having the freight platform lead to the right, left, and straight through.  It also can be use to attach it to a kato rural station set.

2) How long a train can you put at the platform?

You can fit 2-3 two axle boxcars at the freight platform, which seems to be inline with what I've seem photos of most rural stations taking.  

3) If I run a standard spaced double track into this platform, can I have one line stopping and the other running through, or will the end of the platform get in the way?

I'll check, IIRC they use the narrow track spacing used by the kato rural platforms.

4) How well painted is it? Or, how bad will it look if I don't paint anything?

The set is molded in color, but they did a nice job.  I have mine built unpainted and it looks just fine.  

5) Anything else you can tell me that might be helpful?

Go for it!  I have most of the kato rural station line and I really enjoy all of it, you wont be disappointed.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 2

Ah!  Thanks Kato. I also checked Hobbysearch but I didn't go all the way down to the bottom of the page. The final page shows an exploded view of the platform. The ramps are separate plastic pieces, so it appears they can be reversed to change the functional direction.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10003176

Hobbysearch also give the dimensions as:  Item Size/Weight : 38.1 x 22.2 x 6.1 cm / 567g. Not very long. II think you'd need to add to the platform to fit a full train.

It looks like you can omit the "terminal piece" if you want to have a track going straight through.

Most people don't paint the Kato platforms and stations. They look ok unpainted. I recently gave mine a clear matt coat and it looks a whole lot better. I'm considering whether to paint my  (different) station house or just clear coat it. But I've had it unpainted for a few years now and it has looked decent. It's not something you need to do urgently. As long as you don't super glue it, you can go back later to detail it.

Anything else? You might look at other Kato platforms and stations and see what will combine with this model. Many are designed to be compatible.

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1

Steffie, 

That Kato station is a very basic one, no ticket box, no toilet, no waiting room, it's really an un-manned station, often called here a 'halt, or NIC (no-one in charge) station.

The big building is a bit of a mystery, if it's a rail goods shed (freight shed) it's not high enough off the ground, it would have to have its floor at about the same level as a freight car floor, and doors at the back for road vehicle access.

From the box top illustration, it doesn't seem to have a rail connection laid in.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

3 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Steffie, 
That Kato station is a very basic one, no ticket box, no toilet, no waiting room, it's really an un-manned station, often called here a 'halt, or NIC (no-one in charge) station.

It's a typical rural freight platform, not a passenger station.

The big building is a bit of a mystery, if it's a rail goods shed (freight shed) it's not high enough off the ground, it would have to have its floor at about the same level as a freight car floor, and doors at the back for road vehicle access.

It's labelled as "Agricultural Produce Warehouse".

• Like 1

I had one of those on my layout until I replaced it with an engine shed.  Should have left more room for structures adjacent to the train tracks.  🙂

Steffie,

Green Max has a nice small station building, Cat. No.2130, the building is at ground level, with a small sales kiosk and a set of steps leading up to a separately bought platform, GM Cat.No.2131, this has three different style platforms , each 8 inches (200mm) long.

All unpainted.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Thanks for the extra info.

Since I asked these questions, I did go ahead and get the rural freight platform and incorporate it into my layout. It's compatible with Kato's rural platforms, but nothing else.

For my next layout, I'm almost certainly going to go with Kato's suburban DX platform set, probably just one island and one 1-sided platform. I already have my eye on some other buildings, and I have a freight warehouse and signal box too.