Locate Kato parts?

nscaler711

So I have this base set of the JR 500 series shinkansen that I've had for years and I need to locate parts for it, but have no clue how to obtain them.

I also don't know what set it's out of either so I guess you all might be my best bet... 

I will add pics of what I know I need and label the part numbers to the pic.

This is all on the cab car(?) So don't know if I should just replace the whole car if that's even possible... 

As for what's wrong with this car, I can only assume the original owner  broke it then tried to fix it after a botched DCC install... Then gave up and sold it. 😅

IMG_20190105_190910_zpsrqdmjh5g.jpg 

IMG_20190105_190943_zpsuojoffxl.jpg

IMG_20190105_191850_zpsjpzoeqdd.jpg

Then there is the pantograph, on idk what car... or what I'd need... 

IMG_20190105_191137_zpsr5jcoskv.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide. Id love to see this running properly again... 

Also I hate Photobucket. 

did the set come with the Kato instruction insert? Those usually have a nice visual part picture and matrix of part numbers. If not I’ll dig out one of mine and scan it for you. It’s a crap shoot on what you can get for spare parts but usually Kato and Tomix keep quite a bit around. Dealers like modeltrainplus may do some special orders for you once a customer. Hobbysearch keeps some inventory, I’m not sure how they are on backorders/special orders anymore as ive not used them for that for a long time. Others may have some ideas. 

Parts can sometimes be ordered thru katousa from Kato japan, but it varies and usually takes a long time and the standard shipping fee is like $9 for a tiny part.

cheers

jeff

Ps, you are welcome to upload images at attachments to a post or in your gallery to put in posts as long as they are you own photos if you don’t want to deal with photobucket! Best to reduce the jpegs in size to like 300-400k

jeff

Hi 711, 

You're in luck! Kato recently re-released the JR 500 series basic set so I reckon you might be able to find the parts through some of the online retailers (please check the online retailers section for more details and contact one of them for more information) 

The official Kato Assembly Sheet is available here

You should be able to look for the parts you need from the diagram above 

Also, you can try out https://imgur.com/, 

It's a free photo hosting site like Photo Bucket. I used to use Photo Bucket too and yes they have recently become quite unfriendly... Like Jeff mentioned, it is best to reduce the size of your photos before uploading to somewhere in between 300-400kB for fastest and best results~ 

You cannot order a complete car from Kato but instead would need to put together all parts required in the build.

I’d try and use most of what you’ve got as a few small parts will make it good as new again. 

The best place to start is the PDF Assy parts list that JR500系 linked.

The top section rows list the various body shells. The rows under this list the various chassis. Match the chassis with the coach numbers you have if anything needs replacing. The 4 car starter set had:

Cab car - Car 1 #521-3

Car with Motor - Car 10 #516-3

Car with Pantograph - Car 13 #525-6

Cab car - Car 16 #522-3

The chassis comes with brass contact strips which you seem to be missing in your photo. The wheel pickups contact with these strips for the directional lighting and interior lighting if you wish to install that at a later date. You can purchase these separately but I’m unsure of the part number as they’re pretty generic.

The pictures underneath list the motor unit, bogies, traction tyres, light units, detail parts etc.. 

Just in case your Japanese isn’t the best, the details under each part picture read as follows from left to right.

Part Number - Quantity in pack - Price

For example your missing pantograph is part number 4360F, comes in a pack of 2 and costs ¥525 excluding tax.

*small note, the replacement motor units don’t come with bogies but hopefully you’ll still have serviceable ones on the original model. If not, order these as well, e.g.

Motor Unit - 4365B - ¥2310

Powered Truck w/driveshaft - 4365ZD1 - ¥735 X 2

A lot of members of the forum speak very highly of Modeltrainsplus due to the personal level of service. Unless you know people in Japan, this would be the best place to start and these parts should be simple to procure. 

@cteno4 , @JR 500系 thanks the parts sheet even though I recognize it as being written in Japanese, I can't read it. 😅 

I will check out modeltrainplus as I can never really find anything on hobby search... Which coincidentally was one of the second places I looked after KatoUSA said they couldn't really help me. Guess I'll stick with ordering parts for their NA equipment. Lol

I tend to forget about imgur, I just loved PB due to it's ease of use years ago... At least they allow third party "hosting" again, granted with a watermark that should be illegal... Copyright infringement type stuff... I won't go into that.

@Kamome

Thank for translating some of it that is helpful. 

As for the car numbers I am not sure where those are listed... 

I do have the contact strips, they were set aside for pictures. 

But I know I'll need everything I have pictured other than the light board, if I can find the correct resistor on digikey or mouser I won't really need to replace it unless the LEDs are toast. 

So as it stands I need to find the interior as a peg was broken off and previous owner used a heated nail much larger than the peg that broke off and melted some of the plastic. 

The diagphram/coupler is basically unusable as they filed out some of it to make it work... The train set can only turn left if that car is in the trailing position... 

At the same time it'd be nice to have spares of those laying around anyway... Never know when one may snap or loose it's grip. 

The motor car is perfect, even has a DZ125 installed so I can run DCC. 

Had I not got a decent deal on this couple years ago I may have just ordered a new set. I do wish KatoUSA could have been more helpful... Its almost like they are separate companies, even though Kato Japan gets the final say on what gets released in the US. SMH.

Thank you, I suppose I'll try modeltrainplus. 

Edited by nscaler711
Added user tag since mobile devices are fun.

try the various translation apps for your phone or browser that work on images this can get you a lot of the way on figuring out details.i use them all the time on instruction sheets. If it’s something important I xerox the doc then write down translation notes on the copy.

katousa runs hot and cold on helping with kato japan parts. Even when they do it can be long and convoluted. Innthe last few years they insisted folks to scan the instruction/part sheet for the model and circle the part needed, I guess enough folks screwed up what part number they needed!

Not sure if modeltrainplus will do special orders unless you are a customer as special orders of small parts is no profit for them at all.

jeff

Yeah I can’t remeber if anyone has gotten them to ship outside japan. Buying services could do it for you but adds to the cost quite a bit. Maybe someone will chime in if they have gotten them to ship offshore.

jeff

Lovely. 

MTP doesnt have stock... Maybe it's time to get rid of the set... 

I saw the cab car on eBay for $49 and there's no way I'm paying that for a single unpowered car... 

Ok so I probably won't get anywhere with the 500, so I'd assume getting parts for a Kato Automatic crossing (20-652) would be out of the question? 

Had a cat that ate the crossing lights and gates, or at least chewed them off and into unfixable bits.

@katoftw just a side note, I wasn't calling you lovely, I tend to use it in a sarcastic tone.

Edited by nscaler711
  • Like 1

Is it the North American style or Japanese style?  If its the one for NA, kato USA may be able to help you.  Its worth sending them an email and seeing what they say.  Sadly kato NA doesn't support kato Japan products.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, nscaler711 said:

Lovely. 

MTP doesnt have stock... Maybe it's time to get rid of the set... 

I saw the cab car on eBay for $49 and there's no way I'm paying that for a single unpowered car... 

I think the MTP suggestion may have been slightly different that just to check whether they have the part in stock. Let me give you a bit of background on MTP. The store is owned and run but a delightful Japanese gentleman by the name of Nariichi. He has a thread here on the forum and contributes regularly. He speaks perfect English, and caters to the export market extensively. His prices are good and his service is always excellent. He is also known for going to great lengths to acquire miscellaneous parts for customers, even when he has to source them from other Japanese outlets. He has a "purchasing service" but also I believe, does this informally from time to time. Nariichi frequently visits Kato for various trade related reasons.

I believe the suggestion is for you to contact Nariichi and ask if he has any insight on how the part might be obtained. I'd strongly recommend MTP as a source for buying Japanese trains. Excellent service, prices, and no headaches. 

Good luck. 

BTW, I don't fully understand what the previous owner did to botch the cab. Any chance you could post a close-up of their not-so-handy work? Just curious.

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Japanese style, otherwise I would have called KatoUSA, I figured since they couldn't help out a buddy of mine with his shinkansen, they couldn't help me with something that I had to order from plazajapan lol.

I suppose if I can't, at least I'll have the spare IR tracks and have an extension track when I buy a new one.

@gavino200 oh ok I gotcha that clarifies alot, I will contact him for sure then thank you! 

As for the damage, they broke off a stud that keeps the coupler/diagphram in place on the bottom frame and replaced it with a much larger nail that was heated and pushed through the plastic where the original stud would have been. They also ripped out the resistor on the light board with what may have been a flat head screwdriver or an xacto blade.

So while it couples up to the rest of the train, it can only turn right when it is in the trailing position.

When it goes left it derails along with the coach it's attached to even on 19" radius curves. That and you know the lights no longer work. 😅

• Sad 2

You really have to call katousa, that’s the only way I’ve got them to look into Japanese spare parts in the past. They fluxuate to refusing all together to grudgingly willing for Japanese trains that katousa has brought over in the past (500 was one of the first and pissed off many in the us when katousa first refused to order spare parts — diaphragm coupler was a big one to break) to willing to submit a request for any Kato japan part. But many have said Katousa rejected requests thru email to them and I had a couple so I just call. But I’ve tired of that path and try Japanese sources first and Katousa as a last resort. Since Kato is a manufacturer they are not as concerned where you got it.

buying from japan usually is from the larger shops like hobbysearch, hobby Lin japan, and amiami where it’s not a lot of personal service or from a small shop like modeltrainplus where it’s just one guy so you get to know each other as you order stuff. It lets you build up a relationship which can be useful with odder situations.

ahh that’s a very common problem with that diaphragm coupler design of Kato. Unfortunately that may have been my suggestion as it was one of the first fixit posts I put out like 15 years ago as it was an issue with a used E1 max bought and later a 500. Those fragile pins on the chassis plastic case hold the diaphragm coupler from swinging too far and those hooks on the coupler end grab them. My solution was to find a very fine sewing pin that was about the plastic pin diameter, clip it off to length, drill a hole thru and gluing the head well on the other side. I have a very vague memory of a discussion of pushing it thru hot with someone. I do remember having to find some very fine sewing pins as regular ones were too big.

to decouple them you want to pull up vertically on one car while holding the other car down while on a straight and wiggle a little while lifting.

jeff

16 hours ago, nscaler711 said:

So as it stands I need to find the interior as a peg was broken off and previous owner used a heated nail much larger than the peg that broke off and melted some of the plastic. 

The diagphram/coupler is basically unusable as they filed out some of it to make it work... The train set can only turn left if that car is in the trailing position..

You’ll need to order a new chassis to get the interior parts as they’re not sold separately from Kato.  These come with new brass strips but no bogies. If the bogies and securing screws are ok, then you can use them on the new chassis.

Part numbers

New couplers - Z04-2566 ¥735 for 10

Car 1 (cab) chassis - 4356C ¥578

Car 13 chassis - 4358C ¥525

Car 16 (cab) chassis - 4368C ¥578

It is salvageable and yes you do see some wild pricing on used sets outside of Japan. There is another thread devoted to ridiculous auction pricing on Japanese sets. Annoyingly the parts you need are all low cost in Japan. It does sound like the previous owner butchered it quite a bit. 

5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

But many have said Katousa rejected requests thru email to them and I had a couple so I just call. But I’ve tired of that path and try Japanese sources first and Katousa as a last resort.

Seems a shame that KatoUSA don’t give the Japanese level of service. Surely they can include spares in their monthly shipments for models they carry. I’m sure I saw the Evangelion 500 on their website.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Seems a shame that KatoUSA don’t give the Japanese level of service. Surely they can include spares in their monthly shipments for models they carry. I’m sure I saw the Evangelion 500 on their website.

Yes they can and it’s sort have circled around in and out over the years. Kato japan and katousa are slightly different beasties. Katousa gives good service on katousa stuff. Definitely if they should support the japanese trains they bring over. This was the miff years ago when the first brought over the 500s. They did relent but it’s never been super easy and open. 

Jeff

• Like 1

KATO USA is just a glorified importer with regards to japanese sets. Don't expect too much of them.

Spare parts are stupidly hard to get. My spare parts that I needed for an E1/E4 Kitbash (I will post about it sometime later) I eventually found with sheer luck and determination. just looking on the japanese google

@nscaler711 If you can wait for another 6 months or so I can take a peek at the official kato shop in tokyo, since I will be going there. Not sure where you live however, it might not be worthwhile with shipping.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

KATO USA is just a glorified importer with regards to japanese sets. Don't expect too much of them.

Spare parts are stupidly hard to get. My spare parts that I needed for an E1/E4 Kitbash (I will post about it sometime later) I eventually found with sheer luck and determination. just looking on the japanese google

@nscaler711 If you can wait for another 6 months or so I can take a peek at the official kato shop in tokyo, since I will be going there. Not sure where you live however, it might not be worthwhile with shipping.

Thanks, I live in the USA. 

Have bought a few things from Japan shipping has been reasonable... 

It's honestly kind of sad really though, I can get spare parts for most of my KatoUSA locomotives all day if I need them... They really need to start working as a team.

Could just be that we as Americans are just hard headed to though. 😁

5 hours ago, nscaler711 said:

It's honestly kind of sad really though, I can get spare parts for most of my KatoUSA locomotives all day if I need them... They really need to start working as a team.

Could just be that we as Americans are just hard headed to though. 😁

For what it's worth, many of us have been through these stages of Kato grief. Confusuion, disbelief, bargaining, anger, acceptance etc. It's annoying to say the least that KatoUSA and o Japan act like two unrelated companies. You're left on your own to source parts for Japanese trains directly from Japan.

There is however, one more obstacle that you may not be aware of. There's a big difference between US/western and Japanese practices regarding spare parts. In the west, companies tend to stockpile spare parts in anticipation of post production demand. In Japan, at least concerning model trains the practice is different. Perhaps because of the high cost of warehousing in Japan, train companies tend to not keep spare parts stock piles. If you need a spare part for a train that isn't "in production" there's a good chance that it'll be difficult to find, and can't be ordered. Quite often the part can be found at one of the various auction houses (a topic in itself). If it can't be found, then basically you have to wait until the train is "in production" again. When the train comes into production again, you need to order (actually pre-order) the spare part, at that time.

Japanese companies don't continually produce the same model. They have "production cycles" with limited release of models at somewhat regular, but not fixed intervals. If you want a train, you have to wait until the company announces it's future release, and then pre-order it. When the model is released, you get charged and the model is sent to you. You need to pre-order the spare part when the release is announced. For some trains the spare parts are available for a while after release, but you can't rely on it.

This really does seem insane. But there are many reasons why they do it this way, and there's no indication that they'e going to change. Believe it or not, I've gotten used to this and now think of it as fairly "normal".

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, cteno4 said:

ahh that’s a very common problem with that diaphragm coupler design of Kato. Unfortunately that may have been my suggestion as it was one of the first fixit posts I put out like 15 years ago as it was an issue with a used E1 max bought and later a 500. Those fragile pins on the chassis plastic case hold the diaphragm coupler from swinging too far and those hooks on the coupler end grab them. My solution was to find a very fine sewing pin that was about the plastic pin diameter, clip it off to length, drill a hole thru and gluing the head well on the other side. I have a very vague memory of a discussion of pushing it thru hot with someone. I do remember having to find some very fine sewing pins as regular ones were too big.

Ha! So the culprit has been found!

I don’t think I was the one championing the hot pin approach... it is in a nasty little space.

it is a bummer in that design as it’s 4 tiny plastic pins on the plastic chassis frame that any could snap off. 

jeff

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

I don’t think I was the one championing the hot pin approach... it is in a nasty little space.

it is a bummer in that design as it’s 4 tiny plastic pins on the plastic chassis frame that any could snap off. 

jeff

Just joking. Honestly, it's not a bad idea as a last ditch attempt. The real bummer is that someone out there thinks it's ok to sell a train on ebay that they know is damaged, without declaring the damage. But then again, it may have been an estate sale situation.