Double track branch/stub from double track main

Kiran

Is this even possible using Unitrack? Basically, a double track branch or stub from the double track main line. I have #4 turnouts, double track crossover turnouts (left and right) and a scissors turnout. Would I need any other turnouts / crossover track pieces?

Do you mean this? This used two #4 turnouts, and one 20-300, but it requires 49.5mm track spacing rather than the normal 33mm spacing..

I don't believe it can be done with 33mm spacing. I'm not sure how to easily shift from 33mm to 49.5mm although I'm sure another forum expert can answer that.

Double track branch.PNG

AFAIR one source suggested the way to change between 33mm and 49.5mm is to make the transition on a curve by inserting one of the very short track pieces from the assortment set (not sure which one) in the outer track.

I think an S R481-15 moves over about half, not sure it its 16.5mm though.  An s64 at 15 degrees on a turn will do it.  But that requires not just a turn, but one that uses 15 degree turn.  Maybe the likes of 33,38,46mm track would work at 30 and 45 degrees.

A R249-15 'S' will get you REAL close, and it's 124mm long, so no weirdness on lengths, but 249s back to back might be tight fo longer cars.  Its so short that it might work because a long car, 20-21m, the lead truck will be almost through as the trailing one enters

S64 at the last 15 degrees of an outer corner will work, and a S62 on the exit of the inner corner brings the ends back to square.

I couldn't find another place to insert a straight in a corner, though I did not try multi radius corners, they make squaring back up difficult.

Edited by ecfitzgerald