Gates on the Ginza line.

Sascha

What are these gates for? I thought they are maybe to stop people from going into the tunnel, but I saw other sections like this with no gate. Is it the Factory?Video by Matt Maness!!

Edited by Sascha

It is the maintenance yard in Uedo. The track the train is on is the ramp from the subway tunnel. The line is third rail so the yard would have live third too--which is not that common in Japan.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
trainsforever8

I'm sure it involves the fact that the tracks have a third rail, so the danger of going on the tracks is amplified by its presence. 

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, the Tokyo Metro Ginza and Marunouchi lines are actually quite unusual because they use 1,485 mm standard gauge tracks and third rail power pickup (600 V DC). Most other Tokyo subway lines have run-through services with private commuter rail lines, hence the reason you see 1,500 V DC overhead power on those lines.

14 minutes ago, Sacto1985 said:

If I remember correctly, the Tokyo Metro Ginza and Marunouchi lines are actually quite unusual because they use 1,485 mm standard gauge tracks and third rail power pickup (600 V DC). Most other Tokyo subway lines have run-through services with private commuter rail lines, hence the reason you see 1,500 V DC overhead power on those lines.

They are indeed standard gauge, which is actually 1435mm.  The Oedo line is also standard gauge, albeit 1,500 V DC overhead,