Japanese street scenes

I'm new to Japanese modelling and my interest is in rural diesel operated  branch lines. I've been accumulating a collection of small N scale shop buildings with the plan to create a small town  business district.  I was originally planning along the lines of a US Main Street with a row of shops side by side. But using Google Street view it seems that Japanese small towns are not built that way. They appear to have the shops scattered throughout the town. Often vacant lots or houses separate one business from another and there often appears to be lane-ways between buildings. Am I just looking at the wrong places or is that the way it is. My method is to just select small towns at random.

Ken H.

Hi Tramman,

Welcome to the forum. Japanese planning controls are very different from American. Basically they regulate building heights and forbid to mix heavy industry with other uses. Business are free to open shop anywhere they want. Taller buildings are usually allowed in the vicinity of railway stations, so that's where you find the big shops and office towers. Smaller shops and offices are scattered around.

Another important thing is that in Japan there are no minimum parking requirements. Also, street parking is forbidden by national law. All you can see in the street are a few park metered places, but under no exceptions cars can stay overnight. People need to show a proof of parking space when they buy a car. The consequence of this policy is that parking is provided by the private sector. You would find some small private car parks in the big cities. There are much more, and they are cheaper, the further you go from the city. Some business may provide some parking in their land, but they are not allowed to. 

Thank you for the replies. Not what I expected never having been to Japan. My layout will be nowhere in particular so I'll make good use of Google Street View for ideas.

Ken H